OCTOBER 7, 2015 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:31 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Harrison Baum, Dylan Coliflower, Pablo Tinoco, Jaynie Lee, Paul Sullivan, Erik Tamiyasu, Megan Mahdi, Ana Morino, Ian Fielden, Ty Yates, Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Muriel Robotta, Alexis Dumitrescu, Justin Fatoohi, Gervin Prado, Jonny Semaan, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Keaton Lash, Lewis Collazo, Gervin Prado.
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Carlos Perez.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. TINOCO/LLOYD CARRIED
Pablo Tinoco made a friendly amendment to Information item D. Judicial Affairs Council report under VII and add Action item C. Election of Homecoming Court nomineeswith a time certain at 5:15pm. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. ROBOTTA/COLLAZO CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
- Jessica Santos, on behalf of the Library and Information Access, reported:
- Purchased 114 books and they are available in the course reserve section of the library.
- You can go in person or online to reserve books.
- If you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee: None
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa reported on the following:
- Introduced himself to members.
- SDSU has begun a partnership with San Diego Housing Department and they have given out 100 vouchers ($600,000 value) for Guardians Scholars.
- Waitlist Presentation-Rayanne Williams, Enrollment Services:
- Wait-list system will start this spring, no more crashing classes.
- It has taken three years for this launch.
- The wait list system will open as soon as registration opens and will not be closed until the add/drop deadline.
- As long as there are open seats in a class, students can add without needing an add code.
- Maximum of 4 classes in the wait list.
- Students will be ranked anonymously.
- JAC Reports:
- All council members should know Sections 47 and 46 of the bylaws because it outlines our duties as leaders.
- Tabling requirement is due this Friday, October 9th.
- Judicial Affairs Council will be going paperless.
- Requests for excused absences have the following guidelines: 3 business days before, emergency excuses will have 7 business days after.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. COLLAZO/TAMIYASU CARRIED
- General Consent Report: (Information) The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Election of Homecoming Court: The council moved into AS nominees for Homecoming Court.
Lewis Collazo 12
Lorena Acosta 18
Shawn Tenny 5
Ana Morino 7
Gervin Prado 1
Jonny Semaan 0
Trevor Yarnall 1
Lewis Collazo and Lorena Acosta were selected.
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Encouraged members to reach out to new people, not their friends, to talk about A.S. Challenged them to videotape them speaking up after class about A.S. Andrea will buy you a nice lunch if you do the challenge.
- Reserved the courtyard for college councils to table for one week in November. More details will be discussed later.
- Need students to sit on Senate committees.
- Aztecs Culture Education Committee will have its first meeting on October 14th from 2-3pm in Government Conference room.
- Next UC, October 21st, Toni Atkins, Speaker of the House is coming.
- Extended invitation to all council members to get to know Andrea one on one.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Encouraged council members to get to know the FLEXes.
- Next Thursday, campus student survey will be analyzed.
- Let Blaire know if any college council president did not get a padfolio.
- Lorena thanked everyone for the Homecoming nominations.
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- Reminded council members to sign up for the mentor/mentee program. Deadline is tomorrow.
- Thanked everyone for sharing the homecoming video.
- Promo items have arrived, Leo is saving them for when it is closer to Homecoming.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- The U.S Department is cutting student loans. Ty will be emailing out an email with the letter that you can send to congressional representatives to appeal this.
- Tyler is working on educating students on voter registration and why it is important to vote, especially locally in San Diego.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger logo will stay the same for brand recognition.
- Showed final rough draft of Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign video.
- Challenged everyone to get involved in donation process.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- The University Senate is reviewing AS this year and the report will be given to all councils.
- Anthony Lee, Student-at-Large:
- On September 28th, the ETAC: SDSU Mobile App Sub-Committee had a meeting. Chair, Greg Block, gave a presentation on the research his team has found. There will be vendor demos from DubLabs on Thursday and an Modo Labs/Kurogo on Friday.
- Met with Chelsea Baer, PSFA Council President about their goals and visions for the year. Anthony also met with PSFA Reps, Muriel, Sinthia, and Marisa on Friday to get goals and strategies solidified.
- Had a meet with AVP Tony Chung this past Monday about the progression of potential student @mail.sdsu.edu accounts.
- On Friday, Anthony will be giving a presentation on the A.S Resolution process to the University Affairs Board. Specifically, Article 5 and what is a resolution, potential language changes regarding authorship jurisdictions, and internal A.S created resolution.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. YATES/COLIFLOWER CARRIED Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 5:43 PM.