NOVEMBER 5, 2014 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Corey Polant called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
A. Voting Members Present: Corey Polant, Maxwell Louie, Jordan Mishlove, Dustin Pina, Dominic Bilotti, Austin Dean, Emmanuel Uwakwe, Nick Wright, Kristina Brown, Keeler Johnston, Jose Muguerza, Lance Brooks, Megan Sealy, Jason Taresh, Kalani Perez, Osama Alkhawaja, Owen Burton, Josh Drayer, Jaynie Lee, Shawn Tenny, Maneet Deol, Marc Hess, Alexandria Johnstone, Jonathan Cole, Kevin Hancock, Alex Padua.
B. Voting Members Absent: Ahmad Sanatyar, Kelsey Moss, Jane Kwon.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christy Samarkos, Clarice Mendoza, Christina Brown.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski,
E. Visitors Present: Sarah Nohrden, Christy Andrade, Dean Gale Etschmaier.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of November 5, 2014.
Kevin Hancock made a friendly amendment to add a Love Library Renovations Presentation by Dean Gale Etschmaier as Item C under University Reports and Presentations with a time certain at 3:45 PM. Kevin Hancock made a friendly amendment to add an SDSU Aztec Proud Campaign Presentation by Christy Andrade as Item D under University Reports and Presentations with a time certain at 4:05 PM.
Kevin Hancock made a friendly amendment to add a Judicial Affairs Council update as Item E under University Reports and Presentations with a time certain at 3:40 PM.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of October 22, 2014.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski:
B. University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Christy Samarkos, reported:
- The Commuter Student Resource Center has been very busy this semester. Future goals for Student Affairs include the creation of a learning community specific to freshmen commuter students.
- The Division for Student Affairs has purchased the computer program, Reflections, for the development of the co-curricular transcript. Business students will be testing the prototype and soon, the entire school, will be able to use utilize it.
- Discussions for the creation of a leadership minor are in progress. It is set to be available to students in fall 2015.
- It is exciting to see so many initiatives coming to life at SDSU!
C. Love Library Renovations Presentation – Dr. Gale Etschmaier, Dean of Library & Information Access, reported:
- An architectural firm was hired to review the spaces in the library and create renderings of renovations that can be made in the future. Dean Etschmaier presented these renderings and blueprints and welcomed the members of University Council to give their opinions on this proposal. The renovations would be funded by donor contributions.
- The library is working on a reserve that will include textbooks for general education classes. This reserve will be available to students, in hopes that it will lower the costs of textbooks for students who may have no use for them after they complete these courses.
D. SDSU Aztec Proud Campaign Presentation – Christy Andrade, Alumni Engagement Coordinator, reported:
- The Alumni Association is starting the SDSU Aztec Proud Campaign. In return for a $10 donation to the campaign, students will receive a box with a shirt, a lanyard, and a card, as well as invitations to exclusive leadership events.
- Tabling for this campaign will be twice in the next two weeks. Check out the SDSU Aztec Proud table at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union on Monday, November 17 from noon to 2 PM and outside the SDSU Bookstore on Thursday, November 20 from noon to 2 PM.
E. Judicial Affairs Council – Sarah Nohrden, Justice, reported:
- The deadline for completing diversity trainings has been extended to December 1.
- The deadline for attendance a cultural event and a meeting of a college council of a organization you are not a member of is on November 21. Please note that study abroad application packets are due on November 21st as well.
- Judicial Affairs Council is going over bylaw amendments. ASBOD will see the proposed amendments at their next meeting on November 17.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. General Consent Report: (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
VII. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
A. Corey Polant, Vice President of University Affairs:
- University Affairs Board will be approving their report on their research for the Resolution to Change the Mascot at their meeting tomorrow. This report will be sent to University Council next Wednesday, but all avenues to distribute the report will be taken right after University Affairs Board approves it.
- On Wednesday, November 12, Jeff Buckholz will be a featured speaker at a sexual violence prevention training entitled Yes! Yes! Yes! A Conversation About Consent and Sexual Violence. To follow on the next Wednesday, November 19, there will be a 2-part forum allowing students to express their concerns and questions about sexual violence prevention and education at SDSU.
B. J. Cole, President:
- If you are interested in being in the search committee for the new Dean of the College of Arts and Letters, please let J. Cole know.
C. Kevin Hancock, Executive Vice President:
- Sign up for the Homecoming 5K on the morning of the homecoming game at http://homecoming.sdsu.edu/homecoming/5k.aspx.
- 498 people attended the soccer game yesterday and 217 students participated in the chalking event today. Attendance at the homecoming events has been impressive.
- 34,000 tickets have been released so far for the Homecoming game! Get your ticket now!
- Attend the basketball game this Friday evening!
D. Jacqueline Karczewski, Vice President of External Relations:
- AztecTV’s second episode came out last week.
- Jacqueline, Maneet, and Paige have been discussing an SDSU application for iPhones and the features it would have to aid students in their college experiences. If you have any suggestions, please contact Jacqueline.
- GNP Campus Clean-up: Sunday, November 16.
- Career Services will be giving a presentation at the External Relations Board meeting on Monday, November 17.
E. Alex Padua, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- 138,000 lbs. of food have been raised for Aztecs Rock Hunger so far. Keep encouraging your peers to donate to this great philanthropy.
- On Tuesday, November 18, the Cal Cost Credit Union will be hosting a Cyber Security Workshop at 12 PM in Park Blvd.
F. Maneet Deol, Board of Directors Student-at-Large:
- Manni has been talking to Paige and Jacqueline about the creation of an SDSU app to increase outreach to Aztecs.
- The Beyond School Walls program needs eight more big brothers. Please contact Christina Lutz or Christy Samarkos for more information.
G. Marc Hess, Board of Directors Student-at-Large:
After introducing himself, Marc encouraged the college representatives to continue their hard work
H. Jordan Mishlove, College of Arts and Letters Representative:
- CAL Council Forum: Wednesday, November 19 in the State Suite.
I. Keeler Johnston, College of Engineering Representative:
- AESC Senior Banquet: Thursday, May 7 at the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center.
J. Kalani Perez, College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts Representative:
- PSFA Council Forum: Wednesday, November 19.
K. Owen Burton, College of Sciences Representative:
- Dean’s Bowling Night: Monday, November 10 at Aztec Lanes from 4-5:30 PM.
- CSSC Science Fair hosted by Black Student Sciences Organization: Saturday, November 15 from 8 AM-4 PM.
L. Jaynie Lee, Undeclared/Unclassified Studies Representative:
- The Undeclared College Council shirts are in!
- There will be an upcoming collaboration event with career services next semester being planned.
- UCC Forum: Thursday, November 20 in Aztlan Conference Room at 3:30 PM.
M. Shawn Tenny, Graduate Student Association President:
- Had our first meeting and growing.GSA Meeting: every Thursday at 3 PM in the GSA office in Student Life and Leadership.
N. Christina Brown, Executive Director:
A calendar for spring events is going to be released next semester. It will include be events for the Live Well Aztecs campaign.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Corey Polant adjourned the meeting at 5:42 PM.