SEPTEMBER 17, 2014 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
A. Voting Members Present: Kevin Hancock, Jamie Miller, Abby Kim, Patty Masengale, Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Osama Alkhawaja, Clayton Bishop, Kelsey Schroeder, Lorena Acosta, Kirk Sasaki, Grace Diaz, Niveen Kryakos, Jennifer Reyes, Jonathan Cole, Jacqueline Karczewski, Alex Padua, Corey Polant, Keagan Casey, Marilyn Martinez, Kyle Murphy.
B. Voting Members Absent: Samuel Beltran, Tyler Aguilar, Megan Goodman,
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Clarice Mendoza, Christina Brown, Randy Timm.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Eric Hansen, Lynn Cacha, Raheesa Legohn, Hassan Abdinur, Megan Sealy, Kiana Caton, Sarah Nohrden.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 17, 2014.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of September 3, 2014.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
A. Student, Hassan Abdinur reported:
- Divestment is a heavily debated topic here at SDSU. Hassan gave an explanation of the support for divestment and how it would give SDSU a neutral stance on the issue. Students for Justice in Palestine will be offering educational opportunities for SDSU students and the community that are interested in learning more. Please ask me for more details.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Randy Timm reported:
- Commuter involvement has increased this past years thanks to events put on by Student Life and Leadership and Associated Students, as well as the opening of the Commuter Center. Pamphlets listing student events have been mailed out to the addresses of commuter students to encourage their participation.
- It was reported that 90% of remedial SDSU students returned to SDSU in following semesters.
B. A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown reported:
- If you need any help with your commissions, come by the A.S. Office and stop by Christina or Jennifer’s office.
- Adviser trainings are being planned for the next few weeks.
C. Office of Housing Administration Presentation – OHA Director, Eric Hansen reported:
- The Office of Housing Administration performed research to determine where improvement was needed and why it was necessary. They looked into SDSU’s competitors, the intention to increase the size of future freshmen classes, and how impactful housing is on the overall student experience.
- Many renovations have been performed on the housing options available to freshmen Aztecs including improvements to Villa Alvarado and University Towers. Currently, Zura Hall is undergoing an extensive remodeling in order to attract prospective students and improve student life. In his presentation, Eric went through past and present remodeling plans for their buildings including the floor plans and new amenities to the new Zura Hall as well as future sketches for the recently-approved South Campus Plaza.
D. Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Reservation Rates – Aztec Student Union Director, Lynn Cacha reported:
- Changes in rental rates were made to the event spaces and meeting spaces in the Union to accommodate feedback received since the Union’s opening. Lynn expressed how the Union aims to make students their priority when renting out their spaces.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. A.S. Homecoming Nominations: (Action)
ASCLC Homecoming King Nominees/Votes:
Hassan Abdinur – 2
J. Cole – 3
Alex Padua – 13
ASCLC Homecoming Queen Nominees/Votes:
Kiana Caton – 9
Jacqueline Karczewski – 1
Sarah Nohrden – 2
Megan Sealy – 3
Congratulations to Alex Padua and Kiana Caton for being elected as Associated Students’ Homecoming nominees!
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock adjourned the meeting at 4:54 PM.