Monday, September 6, 2013 – 4:00 PM
Arena Meeting Center • Viejas Arena
I. CALL TO ORDER:
A.S. President, Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 4:04 PM at the Arena Meeting Center.
II. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Josh Morse, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan, Jonathan Cole, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Washington Navarrete, Jessika Seekatz, Eric Rivera, Nancy Demich
- Voting Members Absent: Becca Cohen
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Carlos Careaga, Jerry Varga, Robin Judd
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 9/9/13, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
- A.S. Budget Presentation: Mariah Kelly, Vice President of Financial Affairs, and Carlos Careaga, Interim Finance Director, presented the A.S. Budget to the Board of the Directors.
- 2012-2013 Audit Report: Jerry Varga of McGladrey LLP gave a presentation on the partnership’s work on Associated Students’ audit report every year. The process, as well as the quality of work and communication between McGladrey LLP and Associated Students was explained to the Board of Directors.
- Student Affairs Strategic Plan: Eric Rivera, Acting Vice President of Student Affairs, touched upon the recently updated strategic plan.
SDSU Children’s Center Designation: Robin Judd, the Children’s Center Director, requested for the Board of Directors’ approval to make Christina Brown the designee of the Children’s Center. It was moved and seconded to approve the appointment of Christina Brown as the designee of the Children’s Center.
It was moved and seconded to approve the transferring of funds for child care funding to a different contract.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Josh Morse reported on the following:
- Associated Students, the SDSU Alumni Association, and the University administration is aiming to make Homecoming more grand than ever before, and that is only possible if student leaders work with alumni and other students to achieve this goal. SDSU is hoping to break our Homecoming record this year.
- Toured Ohio State’s Student Union this past weekend. It was impressive to hear how they built it and funded the Union and its opening event.
- Appointments for the Strategic Plan Committee working groups have been completed.
- Executive Vice President: Clarice Mendoza reported on the following on behalf of Becca Cohen:
- Meet Your Reps Night at Cuicacalli Dining Hall is next Wednesday, September 18 from 6-8 PM. RSVP to Becca by this Wednesday. Meals will be provided by Dining Services. This is a great opportunity for freshman to meet the student leaders that represent them and ask questions about leadership or the university in general.
- Vice President of External Affairs: Javier Gomez reported on the following:
- The Executive Officers visited Ohio State this past weekend to tour the campus and their student union. Their spirit and passion for their university and football team gives SDSU something to work towards and strive for.
- CSSA Stanislaus is in two weeks.
- Next week, Javier will be traveling to Washington D.C. to lobby for higher education with CSSA.
- September 24 is National Voter Registration Day. Javier and ERB will be working to get as many students registered as possible to get ready for the special election on September 14. In addition to those efforts, ERB will also be working on getting candidates to speak at SDSU.
- Vice President of Finance: Mariah Kelly reported on the following:
- Last week, the first college council leaders orientation was held. College council representatives, presidents, vice presidents, and assistant deans attended.
- The first Financial Affairs Committee meeting was today.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger begins next month. Great ideas were generated at the last meeting and this year’s goal is 150,000 lbs.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Morgan Chan reported on the following:
- The first College Council Leaders Orientation was on September 4. Assistant deans and college council presidents were invited.
- Last week was the first senate meeting. Appointments to committees were made and priorities were defined.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The State of the A.S. will be held on September 26 at the Aquaplex.
- Quentin Skaggs has completed the ads going in The Aztec to publicize the three open seats on A.S. Government.
- Eric Rivera and Christina Brown will be presenting at the University Vice Presidents Meeting. Discussion of the plans for the Union will be seen in the agenda of the next Board of Directors meeting. March 2-8 of next year will be a week of grand opening events for the Union. The Union will undergo a soft opening at the beginning of the spring semester.
- If need any assistance with your position’s duties or any questions or concerns about Associated Students, Jen and Christina welcome anyone to come into the Government Affairs Office and schedule to have a meeting.
- University President’s Designee: Eric Rivera reported on the following:
- Dr. Pamela Stark will begin as the Director of Disability on October 1. She will work to ensure that SDSU is complying with ADA Requirements.
- Vice President, Business & Financial Affairs’ Designee: No report.
X. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Washing Navarrete reported:
- The GreenFest Executive Committee has a vacant vice chair at large position available.
- Kevin Hancock
- Go Aztecs!
The meeting was adjourned at 6:06pm.
A.S. Council Secretary