Adapted Athletics Training Partner
Adapted Athletics Training Partner Position Description
GENERAL PURPOSE: Aztec Recreation, through its affiliation with the Aztec Adaptive Sports and Adaptive Sports Physical Therapy registered student organizations, or a registered club sports team, offers current members the opportunity to volunteer in the Adapted Athletics Program. The volunteer Training Partner position allows students to learn about adaptive sports in an applied recreation setting at Aztec Recreation (AR). The volunteer position is offered year round.
Under direction of the Sport Coach, this undergraduate/graduate Training Partner will be responsible for supporting the Coaches by providing and maintaining a high level of training stimulus for the adaptive athletes. A successful volunteer in this position may have a passion for the sport, the capacity to exercise at an elite level alongside athletes, the ability to follow directions, and a positive attitude. This volunteer position will work directly with the assigned Sport Coach.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Primary Functions May Include:
- Knows and represents the Adapted Athletics mission, vision values, and code of conduct
- Demonstrates knowledge of processes, policies and procedures within events and training
- Demonstrates knowledge of the various departments and facilities of Adapted Athletics
- Partner with athletes during practices to aid in training
- Facilitates communication between coaches and athletes
- Assists in maintaining the flow of training sessions.
- Understands the area and layout of the ARC and other Aztec Recreation facilities
- Explains and demonstrates basic skills in physical fitness and health education
- Learns about equipment maintenance and budgeting
- Works with Adapted Athletics to advertise program (e.g. tabling, flyers, demos, etc.)
- Attends and participates in weekly meetings as scheduled
- Utilizes SDSU Email and Calendar
- Supports the implementation of exercise programs with the Head and/or Assistant Coach.
- Researches applicable articles, peer reviewed articles, books, movies, videos, and websites assigned by the Head and/or Assistant Coach.
- Reviews athlete progress with the Head and/or Assistant Coach and makes changes to different sport plans when appropriate
- Other duties as assigned.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Provides a welcoming atmosphere that creates positive student experiences
- Maintains positive and effective working relationships with all athletes, staff, and students
- Informs supervisor of any issues in a timely manner
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and athletes as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Ensures completion of proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and regularly inspects classroom/program environment and equipment to ensure safety
- Responds to emergencies according to established department procedures
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units and a member of one of the following registered student organizations
- Aztec Adaptive Sports
- Adaptive Sports Physical Therapy
- Club Sports
- Desire to build a career as a personal trainer, coach, sports psychologist, physical therapist, athletic training, event planner, marketing coordinator, or other role in the sports/medical/adaptive industry
- Former or current athlete
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Must possess excellent customer service skills
- Preferred experience with sports (volunteer, former/current athlete, coach of youth sports)
- Experience within the disability sports population preferred
- Knowledge of recreational & elite (Paralympic) training practices and principles preferred
License & Certification:
- Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED certifications are required
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must meet commitments and complete tasks satisfactorily
- Must be able to work independently and stay focused under pressure in stressful situations
- Must work effectively with other employees/departments
- Must be accurate and pay attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills required
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow project through to completion
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks, projects, and assignments within appropriate timelines
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving participants with patience, good judgment, and with diplomacy is expected
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Proficient computer skills required
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow
- Ability to develop positive working relationships
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time volunteer position. Training Partners must be able to commit to 5-10 hours of work per week.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment with standard office equipment available and in a recreation environment with standard gym and audio equipment. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance) as well as perform physical demands specific to the sport. Work may require standing and moving for extended periods.
- Reports to the Coaching Staff
- Further interactions may include part-time and full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to Adapted Athletics Director and/or Program Assistant, Associate Executive Director, Associate Director, Fitness & Wellness Coordinator, Fitness & Wellness Supervisor, Assistant Director of Competitive Sports & Outdoor Programs, Competitive Sports Supervisors, Operations & Events Manager, Marketing Coordinator, photographer, and videographer.
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Volunteer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children and/or supervise other staff.