Sport Club Assistant Coach: Waterski & Wakeboard - Non-Paid
Volunteer Position Closed.
Please check back at a later date. Thank you!
Sport Club Assistant Coach: Waterski & Wakeboard - Non-Paid Position Description
Under the direction of the Competitive Sports Manager, the Assistant Coach for the waterski and wakeboard club team will be responsible for assisting the Head Coach with instructing new and experienced team members in the areas of waterskiing and wakeboarding; directing practice 3-4 times a week; creating team development strategies; and ensuring the boats are well cared for and operated in a safe and responsible way. This individual must be available during the competition season to travel for weekend events. The position averages 8-12 hours per week and requires availability for morning, evening, and weekend hours.
The Assistant Coach is responsible for the enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures as outlined in the Sport Club Handbook as well as all duties associated with coaching a collegiate club program. The successful candidate will be expected to enforce and comply with all policies and procedures established by Associated Students/SDSU, the Sport Club Program and USA Waterski Association while serving as a positive role model for the program and SDSU.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all job expectations as outlined in the Associated Students/SDSU Sport Club Coaching Agreement
- Ensure individual and program compliance with all policies and procedures of Associated Students/SDSU and Aztec Recreation
- Ensure safety of all team members, coaches and equipment is the top priority at all times
- Assists team members in achieving recruiting goals
- Plans and runs practices for skiing and/or wakeboarding
- Monitors the practice schedule
- Maintains safe boating and water sports practices
- Assists team members in achieving fundraising goals
- Work with other university programs and the Nationals Collegiate Waterski Association (NCWSA) to coordinate tournaments
- Assists with the coordination of travel arrangements
- Assists with the necessary equipment maintenance and repairs
- Works collaboratively with team officers and administrators to develop and achieve program priorities
- Assists the team officers with fiscal oversight
- Maintains team’s positive community standing
- Assist in the outreach to alumni to recruit support for the team
- Represent the team in regional or national meetings with other coaches or organizations
- Performs other duties as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Represents the team and Associated Students/SDSU in a professional manner at all times
- Maintains positive and effective working relationships with all athletes and staff
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Proficient knowledge of Aztec Recreation programs, facilities, and policies required
- Knowledge of CSI Spectrum Software, Microsoft applications, Aztec Recreation website, and Microsoft applications required
- Knowledge and/or participation of Aztec Recreation programs and facilities preferred
License & Certification:
- First Aid and CPR/AED certifications required
- Water Front Lifeguarding
- Current Coast Guard, USA Water Ski, State Operator's License or Boating Safety Course
- Valid California Drivers’ License and proof of automobile insurance are required
- Must complete Gender Awareness and Sexual Harassment Prevention training within 30 days of hire
- Must complete the California Defensive Driving Course
- Attend all mandatory Aztec Recreation/Sport Club Staff meetings and trainings as directed
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and athletes
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Strong organizational skills required
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Commitment to adhere to all the policies, rules, and regulations of Associated Students/SDSU, Aztec Recreation and sport leagues
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated commitment to student success and ability to recruit, train, and evaluate collegiate student athletes
- Have a strong coaching background with an emphasis on skill development and leadership
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with student athletes, team officers, coaches, administrators and alumni
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving participants with patience, good judgment, and with diplomacy is expected
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a volunteer position. Flexibility and willingness to work up to 25 hours per week; employee schedules vary according to team needs throughout the academic year.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of programs; programs may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: extreme cold, ice, lighting and temperature are adequate, and hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, chemicals, etc. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, wind, rain, weather, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads up to 25 pounds. Work may require standing and moving for extended periods.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to Competitive Sports Manager
- Interacts with Competitive Sports Supervisor, Competitive Sport Program Leads, Competitive Sports Office Assistant and Sport Club Site Supervisors
- Interfaces with other Aztec Recreation Staff, Sport Club Coaches, and Athletic Training Staff
Outside the Organization:
- Related University Personnel
- Sport Governing Body
- Other Universities and Colleges
- Professional Organizations
A background check (including a criminal records check) and Live Scan must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
MVR and DMV record review is required for positions that drive university vehicles and/or passengers for program related trips.
Submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Your application will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be interviewed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.