Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB) Student-at-Large
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS OFFICE
Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB) Student-at-Large Position Description
PURPOSE OF THE AZTEC STUDENT UNION BOARD
The purpose of the Aztec Student Union Board is to propose, plan, publicize, and coordinate educationally, culturally and socially unifying events and activities for the student body throughout the year. The board will also promote general wellness, be informative and educational, provide entertainment and promote the building of morale, cultural awareness and Aztec Pride.
Students have the opportunity of being involved with one or more of ASUB’s subcommittees to help fulfill the mission and purpose of the board. Under the direction of the Aztec Student Union Board, each subcommittee shall:
- UNION NIGHTS COMMITTEE Work in partnership with the University Aztec Nights Programming Committee to plan ASUB coordinated events that provide vibrant campus nightlife with fun, social opportunities for all SDSU students throughout the year. In addition to helping execute various Aztec Nights event, this committee will also focus on putting on other late-night programming events throughout the year. These programs shall be oriented to unite the campus community, both culturally and socially, explore new and different ideas, promote general wellness and provide entertainment.
- AZTEC PRIDE COMMITTEE Collaborate with campus departments, to plan and program various activities that promote Aztec Pride, and embody the values of San Diego State University throughout the year. This includes programming student team competition events for Homecoming in the Fall and assisting the GreenFest Action Committee in the Spring.
- CULTURE, ARTS & FILM COMMITTEE Coordinate and collaborate with campus departments, student organizations and outside vendors to bring cultural, educational and social events to the SDSU campus community.
- GREENFEST ACTION TEAM COMMITTEE Under the direction of the Aztec Student Union Board GreenFest Committee Chair, the Action Team will organize, coordinate, and execute GreenFest events in an effort to promote sustainability and Aztec pride. Students will assist with marketing and outreach efforts to help further promote the mission of GreenFest: sustainability, diversity, and Aztec Pride.
- MARKETING COMMITTEE Focus marketing events, social media, and public relations for ASUB, the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union and its related programming.
- MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT COMMITTEE Will work to plan concert and showcase series events. The Committee will suggest artists and aid in the planning of events in order to enrich campus life, unite the university, and facilitate a unique college experience.
- OPERATIONS COMMITTEE Focus on serving as the student voice to provide feedback to ASUB, AS, Union partners, and Union staff. In addition, work in conjunction with the Aztec Student Union Director to fulfill the Union’s mission in regards to the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union operations, facilities, and event programming.
For more information, please visit https://as.sdsu.edu/aztec-student-union/asub
SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF A STUDENT-AT-LARGE BOARD/COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Interested in event planning and taking initiative to propose, plan, publicize and coordinate event activities throughout the year
- Creative and innovative
- Participation in discussions and events
- Assist in gaining feedback (through surveys, word of mouth, etc.) from students
- Works well as a member of a team
- Desire to grow professionally
- Be an active voice advocating for ways to promote alternative, safe and fun programs
- Attendance at the weekly meetings (one hour per week)
- Market and participate in various events throughout the academic year
- Assist with weekly tabling as often as possible
Education: Must be regularly enrolled SDSU student, carrying at least six units per semester.
Employment: May not be a paid part-time employee of an Associated Students department (Aztec Recreation Center, Aztec Aquaplex, Aztec Student Union, A.S. Business Services, Government Affairs Office, Viejas Arena, Open Air Theatre, Mission Bay Aquatic Center, and SDSU Children’s Center)