First Year Leadership Experience (FLEX)
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS OFFICE
Volunteer Position Closed.
Please check back at a later date. Thank you!
First Year Leadership Experience (FLEX) Position Description
PURPOSE OF THE FIRST YEAR LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
The First-Year Leadership Experience (FLEX) is a student-to-student mentoring program for up to five (5) SDSU first-time freshmen and transfer students, who will be immersed into Associated Students (A.S.) at San Diego State University.
Throughout the course of the academic year, the five members of FLEX will become active in Associated Students by working directly with the A.S. Chief of Staff, Executive Officers and other A.S leaders. By doing so, they will develop leadership skills and experience unique opportunities for personal and professional development.
SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF A STUDENT-AT-LARGE BOARD/COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Innovative ideas and solutions
- Active participation in discussions and events in relation to Associated Students and campus-wide concerns
- Works well as a member of a team
- Desire to grow personally and professionally
- Desire to enhance leadership skills
- Motivation to make an impact on San Diego State University
Education: Must be a regularly enrolled SDSU student, carrying at least six units per semester.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FLEX?
- Mentored by the A.S Executive Officers and other A.S leaders through one-on-one meetings.
- Work on Associated Students’ projects while becoming an integral part of the culture of the organization
- Interact and engage as a FLEX team through collaboration on projects and events.
- Join an Associated Students board or committee of interest in order to understand the structure of A.S. and take on an active role as a student advocate.
- Attend weekly FLEX meetings to foster personal and professional development.
- Have opportunities to showcase their leadership skills and represent their peers through campus wide initiatives.
- Learn about various resources and opportunities available to students at the University
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a volunteer position (5-6 hours/week).
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
This position requires the individual to spend hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
IF I HAVE QUESTIONS, WHO DO I CONTACT?
Please contact Max Johnson, A.S. Chief of Staff at (619) 594-2937 or email@example.com.