First-Year Leadership Initiative (FLI)
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS OFFICE
First-Year Leadership Initiative (FLI) Position Description
PURPOSE OF THE FIRST YEAR INITIATIVE
The First-Year Leadership Initiative (FLI) is a student-to-student leadership program for SDSU first-time freshmen and transfer students, where they will learn about Associated Students (A.S) and how to become an active leader within A.S. and the University.
The eight-week program consists of weekly meetings where members participate in interactive workshops and presentations to reinforce their strengths, work on areas for improvement, and develop their leadership skills. The purpose of FLI is for its members to have an understanding of Associated Students and develop both personally and professionally.
SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF A STUDENT-AT-LARGE BOARD/COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Innovative ideas and solutions
- Active participation in discussions and events in relation to Associated Students and campus-wide concerns
- Works well as a member of a team
- Desire to grow personally and professionally
- Desire to enhance leadership skills
- Motivation to make an impact on San Diego State University
- Weekly 1 hour meetings at a time to be determined
- Meetings with A.S mentors at a time to be determined
Education: Must be a regularly enrolled SDSU student, carrying at least six units per semester.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FLI?
- Receive firsthand knowledge and understanding of Associated Students and the meaning of shared governance within San Diego State University.
- Join an Associated Students board or committee of interest to them in order to understand the structure of A.S. and take on an active role as a student advocate for campus wide issues.
- Be matched in a one-on-one mentorship with a current A.S. leader
- Learn how to grow as a professional and leader in interpersonal sessions with other first-year students.
- Meet other SDSU students
- Learn about various resources and opportunities available to students at the University
IF I HAVE QUESTIONS, WHO DO I CONTACT?
Please contact Max Johnson, A.S. Chief of Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.