Travel Policies

Temporary Policy Changes to A.S. Funding Guidelines


In order to have the opportunity to request funding for travel student organizations must be a recognized student organization.

(For more questions on how to become a recognized student organization please visit Student Life & Leadership on the 2nd floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Associated Students offers travel funding for student organizations in the amount of $900 per organization per academic year (July 1 –June 30).


Travel Restrictions

California Assembly Bill 1887 became effective January 1, 2017 restricting the travel for the following states below:

These states are currently subject to California's ban on state-funded and state-sponsored travel. Please see the link for more information on the travel restrictions:

Before you travel:

Step 1:

Print "Travel Request Packet" and submit completed packet to the A.S Office TWO WEEKS prior to travel. This is to ensure sufficient time for the Financial Affairs Committee for review. 

Travel Request Packet (7 Forms):

Step 2:

Financial Affairs Committee will review your request and contact you with either the approval of your request OR ask for more information regarding your request.

Step 3:

Financial Affairs Committee approves or denies travel request.

Important: In the event that the FAC approves your travel request you DO NOT get reimbursed for your travel until you complete the required forms in the "After Your Travel" section.

After Your Travel, Requesting Travel Reimbursement:

Step 1:

After completion of your travel, to request travel related reimbursements you will need to complete the following:

Step 2:

Attach the original receipts to the Travel Check Request and submit to the A.S. Office. Questions regarding these forms should be directed to the A.S. Office at 619-594-6555.

Guidelines for Travel Reimbursement

Per Diem Guidelines:
The per diem establishes the maximum daily reimbursement amount that may be requested for lodging and meals. Mileage and other travel expenses (airfare, taxi, airport shuttle, etc.) and conference fees are added to the per diem amount. However, meals provided by a conference and paid through a conference fee must be noted on the Travel Expense Report.

Per Diem Amount:
The amount of time is calculated from time of departure until time of return. For each full 24-hour period:

Expense Per Diem Amount Sample

LODGING $275.00

Breakfast $10.00
Lunch $15.00
Dinner $25.00


TOTAL $330.00

For periods less than 24 hours:
Departure and return times determine if lodging and which meals will be allowed.

Lodging and Incidentals:
Is allowed when the period extends overnight.

Is allowed if your departure time is during the previous 24-hour period and your return time is later than 9am.
Is allowed if your departure time is before 7am and your return time is after 6pm of the same day.

Is allowed if your departure time is during the previous 24-hour period and your return time is later than 2pm.

Is allowed if your departure time is during the previous 24-hour period and your return time is later than 6pm.

Per Diem Amounts Examples

  • Depart 7am Monday
  • Return 5:30pm Wednesday
Allowable per diem:
  • 2 nights lodging 
  • 2 full days of meals and incidentals
  • 1 day breakfast and lunch
  • Depart 10am Tuesday
  • Return 1pm Thursday
Allowable per diem:
  • 2 nights lodging
  • 2 full days of meals and incidentals
  • Depart 1pm Wednesday
  • Return 9am Friday
Allowable per diem:
  • 2 nights lodging
  • 1 full day of meals and incidentals 
  • 1 additional dinner and breakfast

Meals Included In the Registration Fee:

If meals are included in the registration fees, then you cannot claim those meals as part of your per diem (i.e., if one lunch is included, then you would reduce the daily per diem amount by $15.00). A copy of the registration form and/or agenda should be submitted with your reimbursement request. Proof of Attendance and included meals required.

Mileage Reimbursement:

(As of January 1, 2021) The maximum rate per mile for reimbursement of use of a private vehicle while on Associated Students business is the IRS’s standard mileage reimbursement rate of .56 cents ($0.56) per mile. This rate will change only when the IRS rate changes. You will need to fill out a mileage form to document the miles driven, noting the beginning and ending odometer readings per trip. We will reimburse you for gas receipts or mileage, but not both. A map of the mileage (mapquest, must also be provided. You must receive driver clearance and submit proof of automobile insurance before using your vehicle for Associated Student business. Rental cars will only be reimbursed for gas with receipts.