The ITS Student Technician is responsible for maintaining our current computer and network infrastructure. You are tasking with troubleshooting various hardware and software computer problems on a daily basis. We rely heavily on each technician to make sure all security and management policies are upheld.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Assists A.S. computer users with computer issues
- Assist with the installation, configuration, and documentation of new software programs.
- Update and configure software as well as troubleshoot any software issues.
- Monitor the computer hardware and software for A.S. configuration standards and policies.
- Recommend system improvements to IT Analyst.
- May assist IT Analyst with research and purchasing of new hardware and software.
- Ensure systems have latest software updates and security patches.
Assists with System Configuration
- Assists the IT Analyst with the installation of new hardware
- Assists with the installation, configuration, and documentation of new software programs
- Updates and configures software as necessary
- Ensures computer hardware and software meets A.S. configuration standards.
- Recommends system improvements to IT Analyst
- Responsibilities include responding to trouble calls
- Assisting with Windows and Mac hardware set-up
- Software installation, updates, and configuration
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Explain and discuss complex IT concepts to non-technical staff in a way that makes sense to them
- Work with our team to troubleshoot and collaborate on problems and projects
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Previous related coursework preferred.
- Windows 7, Windows 10, and Mac OS X troubleshooting and hardware/software configuration experience required.
- Experience troubleshooting Windows and Macs in a help desk environment is preferred.
- Must complete Computer Security Awareness training within 30 days of hire.
- We will have network and hardware training in the office and then also field troubleshooting training for all technicians.
- Must be a self-starter and able to prioritize multiple simultaneous projects and meet deadlines.
- Must have a general understanding of computers and their hardware.
- Must be proactive, positive and conscientious at all times.
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently under pressure handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well with diverse staff and customers required.
- Know and adhere to the mission and goals of the Associated Students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work well with people and a strong dedication to provide quality customer service in a prompt and courteous matter.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills to solve problems independently. Ability to work in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position (minimum of 10 hours per week) during the academic year, including summer break, with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment. This person will also spend time lifting materials from time to time, including computers, printers and monitors. Must be able to carry 30 pounds and be comfortable kneeling and going under desks from time to time.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the ITS Systems Analyst
- Works closely and collaborates with other technicians
- Interacts with A.S. Department and Program Staff Members
Range II, Step I – Starting Rate: $12.20 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.