Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Government Affairs and Programs, prepares the agenda packets, taking and transcribing the minutes at the bi-weekly meetings of the A.S. Board of Directors (ASBOD), the University Council (ASUC) and the Campus Life Council (ASCLC) and preparing the agenda packet and transcribing the minutes for the weekly Judicial Affairs Council (ASJAC).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the creation and distribution of the A.S. agenda packets for the ASBOD, ASUC, ASCLC, and ASJAC.
- Responsible for transcribing the meeting minutes for the ASBOD, ASUC, ASCLC, and the ASJAC.
- Prepares the meeting room for the ASBOD, ASUC, and ASCLC meetings.
- Updates rosters for all four Councils and prepares the ASBOD binders for all their members.
- Ensures the completion and filing of members’ documents, including the ASBOD Director’s Agreements.
- Responsible for updating the attendance and keeping track of the completion of Council member duties of the members of all four Councils.
- Expected to attend the ASBOD, ASCLC and ASUC meetings.
- Expected to prepare the agenda packets for distribution for all four Council meetings at least 24 hours prior to the meeting and transcribe the minutes of each meeting within 48 hours of each meeting.Works with the A.S. Executive Office Supervisor to ensure that all the minutes and attachments are archived properly.
- Works with the A.S. Graphics Coordinator to post minutes on the A.S. Government website and for Council-related graphics work orders.
- Communicates with the secretaries of all A.S. boards, committees, commissions, and college council to ensure accurate and proper minutes are submitted in a timely manner.
- Responsible for other government administrative work, as assigned.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments, especially with the A.S. leaders of the four Councils and the A.S. Executive Officers.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices.
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a regularly enrolled student, carrying at least six units per semester.
- • Extensive typing experience. Proficiency in Microsoft Word required. Previous secretarial experience highly desirable. Experience in taking and transcribing minutes and knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order (Parliamentary Procedures) helpful.
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to maintain a level of confidentiality
- Knowledge of the Associated Students and San Diego State University
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS:
This is a part-time (15-20 hours/week), with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including lifting banker boxes and files.
Part-Time; Starting Pay: $12.20 per hour