Under the direction of the Office Supervisor, the Office Assistant is responsible for operations at the front desk including cash handling, sales, customer service, data input, and other administrative tasks and projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
- Serves as the main point of contact for new and returning customers while offering exceptional customer service
- Performs customer check-in, completion of appropriate paperwork, and collection of payments
- Provides general and detailed information about MBAC programs to all guests
- Greets customers and provides outstanding customer service
- Enthusiastically welcomes guests in person and over the phone
- Ensures front desk area is clean and organized
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ and MBAC’s Code of Safe Practices
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a currently enrolled student at SDSU, UCSD or USD.
- One year of experience in a customer service environment
- Previous cash handling experience
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross CPR, First Aid, AED certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- FBI, DOJ, and LiveScan fingerprint clearance
- Current valid Driver’s License
- Punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Able to provide excellent customer service and work well with all part-time and full-time staff
- Able to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with guests
- Able to work under stressful situations and with constant interruptions
- Participate in MBAC classes to remain knowledgeable about MBAC programs
- Strong customer service and organizational skills required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues, and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Able to operate a computer, proficient with Microsoft Office, and able to learn and utilize new software programs
- Well organized and able to effectively multi-task, prioritize work under pressure, problem solve, and maintain composure under stressful situations
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with constant interruptions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual Spanish skills are highly desirable
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work variable schedules including weekends with expected hours to be worked during business hours of 7:30am-7:30pm, 7 days a week. Must be available to work long and variable hours during the busy summer months of June through August.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally performed within an office environment with standard office equipment available. MBAC can be a busy facility with numerous distractions. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require standing and walking.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Office Supervisor and Lead Office Assistant
- Works closely with MBAC Program Assistants and staff
Part-Time, Range 1, Step 1 - Starting Rate: $11.50 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.