Under the direction of the Office Supervisor complete primary tasks below while providing a welcoming and knowledgeable presence to families, guests, and visitors of the Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support for the Center Office Supervisor and Admin Staff
- Work as a substitute in classrooms as needed during working hours
- Work as a substitute and cross-train in the kitchen as a kitchen program assistant to help with meal service and clean up
- Assist Center Office Supervisor in maintaining employee and client files.
- Staffs the front desk of the Center
- Assist Center Office Supervisor inventory and ordering of supplies, equipment and materials
- Assist Center Office Supervisor with tracking attendance for subsidized families
- Perform a variety of clerical tasks including inputting data on a computer terminal; filing; copying; running errands; answering phones; and other duties as assigned
- Provide general information to prospective clients
- Greet parents, visitors, students, and other guests to the Center. Checks-in, issues badges, and monitors all adults in the building according to Children’s Center policy.
- Maintains and neatness in the reception area, workroom and other common areas
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Greets customers and provides outstanding customer service
- Enthusiastically welcomes guests, in person and over the phone
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units per semester
- Preferred candidate will be a returning student for at least one additional school year
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel required
- Previous office/administrative experience preferred
- Basic accounting knowledge is preferred
- Have excellent writing and communication skills
License & Certification Requirements:
- FBI, DOJ, and Child Abuse Index fingerprint clearance
- TB clearance prior to first day of employment
- Physician’s Health Screening prior to first day of employment
- Up to date immunization record, including MMR, Tdap, and Flu shot or flu exemption
- Must attend monthly mandatory staff trainings held on Friday evenings after center closes
- Computer Security Awareness Training must be completed within first 30 days of hire
- Must be courteous and friendly at all times
- Must be aware of current SDSU and Children’s Center events
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Must establish positive, professional, and productive relationships with the children, families and staff in our Center
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be able to complete tasks in a busy environment with frequent interruptions
- Must maintain cooperative working relationships with other staff at front desk in order to complete projects and tasks efficiently
- Must be able to prioritize duties on a daily basis
- Strong organizational skills required with keen written and verbal skills and exceptional attention to detail
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and work well as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize work, problem solve, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (6-20 hours/week), Undergraduate-level position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. depending upon assigned shift. Mandatory Staff Trainings are held on Friday’s from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. about once a month.
This is a year-round position which includes Fall, Spring, Summer, winter break and spring break whenever the Children’s Center is open. The Children’s Center is closed for approximately two weeks over winter break. Time off may be approved whenever employee finds a substitute to work their shift.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Office Supervisor
- Provides support for the Director, Assistant Director, Cottage Supervisors, Master Teachers, and Kitchen Supervisor
Range I, Step I - Starting Rate: $11.50 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.