Under the direct supervision of the Operations Coordinator, as well as following direction of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations, Operations Supervisor, the Senior Operations Leads, and the Operations Leads, the Operations Assistants are the backbone of the Student Union facilities. They are responsible for the timely transition of meeting and event spaces in all Student Union facilities, including general set-up and tear-down of events, light custodial throughout the facilities, and general operational integrity throughout the Student Union’s day-to-day operations. Operations Assistants are chiefly responsible for ensuring that Student Union program equipment is properly arranged in Student Union meeting and event spaces. Operations Assistants are further responsible for maintaining a high level of customer service and facilitating positive customer experiences throughout all Student Union facilities, including the University Information Center. This position works as a member of a qualified team with other Operations Staff members who contribute to the overall success of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, Associated Students, and San Diego State University.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the Operations Career and Student Lead Personnel to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the Student Union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide
- Arranges furniture set-ups in all Student Union facilities’ meeting rooms and event spaces as requested by customers in accordance with the daily set-up sheets in advance of their program start times
- Performs light custodial duties including vacuuming and mopping floors; wiping down all pieces of furniture and equipment; and emptying trash and recycling containers in all Student Union event facilities
- Assists the Operations Career and Student Lead Personnel in the responsibility for the entire security lock-up of all Student Union facilities and equipment at the beginning and end of each business day in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Works in the University Information Center, answering questions and providing excellent customer service to all campus visitors and guests.
- Knowledgeable of Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures. Assists the Operations Career and Student Lead Personnel in performing fire and life safety procedures in the absence of full-time staff
- Other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Aztec Student Union facilities
- Acts as special event staff in special events as assigned, actively providing customer service and ensuring smooth and safe event operations.
- Maintains safe, orderly, and clean facilities during events occurring within all Student Union facilities
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Act. Ensures all programs within Student Union facilities comply with such codes. Able to assist Operations Career and Student Lead Personnel to move and direct crowds effectively for safety and security purposes
- Assists the Operations Career and Student Lead Personnel in maintaining a visible presence during events to ensure all guest experiences at Student Union facilities are positive and memorable
Event Equipment Management
- Ensures that all Student Union program equipment remains secure and accounted for. Conducts periodic and frequent inventory audits to account for all equipment and assess inventory needs. Notifies supervisor in a timely manner when it is determined that equipment is missing or it is found to be damaged
- Performs routine maintenance of all Student Union Program Equipment to ensure that all items remain in a safe and useable manner. Removes all items from the active inventory as items break down
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Customer service experience in a fast-paced, high volume setting is preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- CPR, First Aid, & AED Certificates recommended
- Must have competence in social skills and cultural diversity
- Must be detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be comfortable dealing with the public and communicating with customers, students, and staff.
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work a minimum of 8 hours per week. Must have a flexible schedule to work weekends, holidays, and long hours on an as needed basis. Ability to work during summers and break periods is preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports directly to the Operations Coordinator
- Receives direction from Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations, Operations Supervisor, the Senior Operations Leads, and the Operations Leads
Range I, Step I – Starting Rate: $11.50/hour