Operations Lead Job Description
Under the supervision of the Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations and under direction of the Operations Coordinator and Operations Supervisor, the Operations Lead is intended to provide support to the Operations Assistant team at a higher level. This position is a leadership position and will be looked toward to assist with higher level trainings, perform critical administrative duties as needed and give direction, guidance and support in the stead of full-time staff. This position will help lead the direction of the operations team by providing constructive feedback and suggesting ideas for improvement and change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the Student Union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide
- Arranges furniture set-ups in all Student Union facilities’ meeting rooms and event spaces as requested by customers in accordance with the daily set-up sheets in advance of their program start times
- Performs light custodial duties including vacuuming and mopping floors; wiping down all pieces of furniture and equipment; and emptying trash and recycling containers in all Student Union event facilities
- Assists in the responsibility for the entire security lock-up of all Student Union facilities and equipment at the beginning and end of each business day in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Knowledgeable of Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Assists in performing fire and life safety procedures in the absence of full-time staff
- Completes the Operations daily Shift Report, documenting information and summarizing relevant details for review by staff as appropriate
- Maintains safe, orderly, and clean facilities during events occurring within all Student Union facilities
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Act. Ensures all programs within Student Union facilities comply with such codes. Able to assist in moving and directing crowds effectively for safety and security purposes
- Assists in maintaining a visible presence during events to ensure all guest experiences at Student Union facilities are positive and memorable
- Ensures that all Student Union program equipment remains secure and accounted for. Conducts periodic and frequent inventory audits to account for all equipment and assess inventory needs. Notifies supervisor in a timely manner when it is determined that equipment is missing or it is found to be damaged
- Performs routine maintenance of all Student Union Program Equipment to ensure that all items remain in a safe and useable manner. Removes all items from the active inventory as items break down
- Maintains the primary Lost & Found service on campus
- Acts as the facility representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to.
- Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Provides general information about Associated Students, San Diego State University, and the local immediate area to all campus visitors including students, staff, faculty, and the general public.
- Knowledgeable of San Diego Public Transit System and distributes information and appropriate schedules when applicable.
- Assists the Facility Manager in the responsibility for the security lock-up of the University Information Center at the beginning and end of each business day in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable of Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures. Assists the Facility Manager in performing life safety procedures in the absence of full-time staff.
- Completes the daily University Information Center Shift Report, documenting information delineated on the on-line form and summarizing relevant details for review by fellow University Information Center Staff members and other Aztec Student Union personnel.
- Ensures all hiring/termination is conducted in accordance with A.S. policy and timelines
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels to facilitate satisfactory operation of the areas under supervision
- Ensures each employee and volunteer is given written information about their job responsibilities, procedures and policies
- Provides each employee and volunteer an orientation and introduction to the corporation, facility, department and personnel, including the specific standards that apply to each area
- Describes each job’s relationship to the mission of the Associated Students and it uniqueness as a student-directed corporation
- Directs the work courteously and gives clear, specific and realistic goals. Includes methods of accomplishment and accountability as appropriate
- When assigning tasks, provides information, training, materials and support as appropriate
- Assess and monitors each employee’s and volunteer’s knowledge, understanding, ability, readiness and willingness to perform each assignment, then makes appropriate response
- Holds effective staff meetings frequently and regularly provides information regarding policy changes, special events and all other pertinent topics. Keeps employees and volunteers informed of daily happening and messages that pertain to their work
- Makes corrections positively and promptly and includes specific suggestions for change as soon after the event as possible, considering privacy factors
- Corrects individual problems with staff their supervisor
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Open to current internal Aztec Student Union Applicants only
- Minimum 1 semester of Aztec Student Union employment experience preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must possess current certifications in CPR, AED, and First Aid (or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire)
- Valid California Drivers’ License and proof of automobile insurance is required
- Must complete Gender Awareness, Sexual Harassment Prevention, and Computer Security Awareness trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must maintain a high level of customer service and facilitate positive customer experiences throughout all Student Union facilities
- Must work as a member of a qualified team with other Operations Staff members who contribute to the overall success of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, Associated Students, and San Diego State University
- Must be able to quickly adapt and learn new skills in order to perform the responsibilities of the position
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound judgment
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Strong organizational skills required
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including weekends, holidays, and long hours on an as needed basis. Ability to work during summers and break periods is preferred; employee schedules vary according to business needs. MUST be able to work 8 hours a week MINIMUM.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
This position may also call for occasional business-related driving.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports directly to the Operations Coordinator
- Receives direction from Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations and Operations Supervisor
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
MVR and DMV record review is required for positions that drive university vehicles and/or passengers.