Under the supervision of the Aztec Student Union Events Coordinator, the Aztec Student Union Reservations Assistant assists with the overall administrative functions for this high-volume customer service oriented Union Programs & Services office and its full-time staff. Reservations Assistants are versed in all applicable policies and procedures for hosting events not only within Aztec Student Union facilities but other locations within the San Diego State University campus and serve as peer educators to our student based clientele. In using the Event Manager System (EMS) database, the Reservations Assistants are able to maintain all aspects of event related information including inquiries, contacts, logistics, reporting, and accounting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Events Coordinator to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in the Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Ensures proper approval documents and processes for events are communicated to client during planning process and maintained via tracking system in advance of events. This includes Ticket Agreements, Alcohol Requests, Event Approvals, Outdoor Amplified Sound, Catering Waiver Requests, Proof of Liability Insurance, A.S. Facilities Board Waivers, and other documents determined by individual event needs.
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Acts. Ensures all programs within Aztec Student Union facilities comply with such codes.
- Knowledgeable of Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Assist with the continuation of training for new Reservations Assistants.
Event Scheduling and Consultation
- Responds to inquiries for the use of Aztec Student Union meeting and event spaces and makes recommendations for alternative venues both on and off campus to clients when necessary.
- Maintains Event Management System (EMS) database in terms of processing new reservations, altering current reservations, and referencing previous reservations for use in future programs.
- Adds the proper furniture, audio visual supplies, and/or other event related equipment in the Event Management System (EMS) database for each booking as determined by the needs of the client.
- Ensures contacts are current for all student, university, and off-campus clientele in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Follows up on tentative reservations to collect incomplete, updated, and or final event details.
- Conducts peer to peer event planning meetings with student clients to discuss event details and logistics.
- Distributes incoming mail and faxes on a daily basis.
- Manages incoming and outgoing phone calls including voicemail messages on a daily basis.
- Assists Union Programs and Services staff in scheduling appointments for logistics meetings, site visits, and or follow-ups with clients and appropriate full-time personnel.
- Produces daily Set-up Reports, and Events Schedules for use by other internal departments.
- Assists Events Planners with reservations billing including deposits, payments, purchase orders, and journal entries in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Prepares billing pre-reconciliation documentation for review.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Union Programs and Services responsibilities.
Education: Must be a San Diego State University student carrying at least six (6) units per semester.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be comfortable dealing with the public and communicating with supervisors, customers, students, and overall staff in a positive manner.
- Must be well organized and able to manage a multitude of tasks simultaneously under pressure and with accuracy.
- Must be able to remain focused in an environment with constant interruptions.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use and learn to use various computer software programs and processes including: scheduling software, email programs, web browsers, and office related word processing programs.
- Must have a flexible schedule to work during weekday business hours on an as needed basis. Ability to work during summers and break periods is preferred.
- Priority consideration given to students currently majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management or related field.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (20 hours per week), position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Range 1, $11.50 per hour, part-time