Under the direction of the Event Staff Supervisors, the Event Staff’s primary objectives are to accept an admission ticket, pass or acknowledge the appropriate admission badge or credential and allow only authorized guests entry to the venue. Objectives also are to assist guests in locating their seats, re-seating when necessary, provide general information and assistance to guests and enforce the policies and procedures for the venue.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcoming guests and allowing appropriate entry into the venue.
- Directing guests in the general area of their seat.
- Assist house managers in breakdown of the venue entrances.
- Ushering within the venues, keeping aisles clear of standing or seated guests.
- Addressing seating concerns, providing friendly and courteous customer service.
- Act as a Guest Service Assistant (GSA) and assist guests to their seats when needed.
- For concerts and arena events, Event Staff set up and breakdown the chairs used for patron seating on the floor level.
- At the conclusion of an event, Event Staff are to sweep the facility of guests, ensuring that the facility is cleared of the general public.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the venues and helps to enforce the policies and regulations of the venues.
- Surveying immediate work area prior to guests entry for any hazards that may exist.
- Knowing evacuation routes in case of an emergency.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments.
- Provide excellent customer service within their designated area during events including but not limited to; helping guests to their seats, giving directions for venue and campus amenities, addressing questions, and being proactive with any issues.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Ensures completion of proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Must be a returning student for at least one additional school year
- Weekend and night availability including University breaks.
- Excellent customer service and verbal communication skills required
- Must attend one (1) Viejas Arena and one (1) Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre Orientation annually.
- Must be willing to cross-train, work in various positions
- Knowledge of venue and policies
- Ability to give directions and provide excellent customer service
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work in a team environment and maintain positive working relationships
- Excellent Interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, coworkers, and guests.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position. Flexibility and willingness to work long and irregular hours and days, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed by event schedule. This position will also work during summer and winter breaks.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is both indoor and outdoor for events at Viejas Arena and primarily outdoor for CCCUOAT. Our events operate rain or shine and may involve exposure to sun, wind, rain, and other outdoor elements. We would provide reasonable accommodations for severe weather conditions. Possible exposure to loud noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties. Strobe lighting is used during some events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking or standing for extended lengths of time, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 30 pounds (unassisted).
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Event Staff Supervisors and Event Supervisors
- Interacts with contracted security and event vendors
- Interacts with A.S. Management
$11.50 Per Hour (Range I)