Live Producer Job Description
Under the direction of the Editor in Chief and Managing Editor, the Live Producer will oversee the production of The Daily Aztec’s weekly live show. The Live Producer will work alongside the Video Editor and coordinate with the other section editors to develop video content that covers the breadth of The Daily Aztec’s editorial content.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce a weekly live show to be broadcasted on Facebook Live
- Recruit on-air talent to anchor and report
- Help train and teach reporters best practices for broadcast journalism.
- Report on breaking news.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must have been a writer at The Daily Aztec for at least one semester
- Preferably have been a writer for The Daily Aztec’s news section
- Must have already taken JMS 310W, or be taking the class during first semester as news editor
- Must be a current San Diego State student enrolled in minimum 6 units
- Must know AP Style
Trainings to be completed within 30 days of hire:
- Computer Security Awareness
- Anti-Harassment for Non-Supervisors
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with writers and other editors
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and help writers follow stories through to completion
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language and AP style skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to gather and organize data, draw logical conclusions and discern implications
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position with expected hours to be worked Monday through Friday, with some work to be completed during non-normal business hours, such as late nights.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Editor in Chief, and Managing Editor
- Works closely with Assistant News Editor
- Interacts with other editors
- Oversees news writers
Outside the Organization:
- Interacts with students, faculty, staff, Associated Students, University departments and organizations
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Range I, Step I – Starting Rate: $13.00 per hour