Marketing/PR Director Job Description
Under the direction of the Editor in Chief and the Advertising Director, the Marketing/PR Director is responsible for managing all marketing and promotions involving The Daily Aztec in print, online, video and social media. The marketing/PR director will take steps to enhance the position and brand of The Daily Aztec and all its products both on campus and in the community as a whole. The marketing/PR director will oversee all community outreach and recruitment operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze market trends and recommend additions and changes to marketing and business development strategies based on analysis and feedback
- Ensure brand messages are consistent on all fronts
- Gather and analyze customer and reader insight
- Nurture and enrich all external perceptions of The Daily Aztec and growth of market share
- Engage readers and customers on social media through promotions and contests
- Collaborate with sales and editorial to develop strategic partnership activities and implement the execution framework on identified opportunities
- Lead and facilitate the Street Team in DA print distribution and promotional activities
- Oversee creation and delivery of any necessary press releases, in house advertisements, and promotional activities with approval of Ad Director and EIC
- Monitor, review and report on all marketing activity and results
- Report to EIC on key DA performance metrics on weekly basis
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must have been a writer at The Daily Aztec for at least one semester
- Preferably have been a writer for The Daily Aztec’s news section
- Must have already taken JMS 310W, or be taking the class during first semester as news editor
- Must be a current San Diego State student, 6 units.
- Must know AP Style
Trainings to be completed within 30 days of hire:
- Computer Security Awareness
- Anti-Harassment for Non-Supervisors
- Must be knowledgeable of current market conditions and competitor information
- Must maintain a professional and positive attitude with clients, readers, and colleagues at all times
- Must adhere to all Daily Aztec budgets
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must meet commitments and complete tasks satisfactorily
- Must be able to work independently
- Must work effectively with other employees/departments and develop positive work relationships
- Must help accomplish specific tasks and improve work process
- Must be accurate and pay attention to detail
- Must demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and customer communication, and filing/documentation)
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Monday through Friday, Approximately 10 hours per week, Flexibility with class schedules.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Advertising Director and Editor in Chief
- Consults with the Digital Content Editor and General Manager
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Range I, Step I – Starting Rate: $13.00 per hour