Under the direction of Competitive Sports Manager and Supervisor, the Competitive Sports Official will be responsible for officiating intramural sport activities; providing event set up/breakdown and on-site supervision for sport club activities; enforcing policies and procedures as outlined in the intramural and sport club handbook; and ensuring each event or activity is delivered in a safe and enjoyable manner with an emphasis on risk management and customer service. Overall, the Competitive Sports Official provides a high standard of the Aztec Recreation experience with a focus on customer service and safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary Intramural Sport Functions
- Consistently and confidently enforces all Aztec Recreation and Intramural Sport policies to ensure a safe, professional, and enjoyable environment for all participants and guests
- Assists in preparing Intramural Sports sites for scheduled activities
- Ensures participants observe program rules and regulations regarding risk management, safety, sportsmanship, and policies and procedures
- Discusses rules and clarify interpretations with participants prior to Intramural Sports contests
- Assists with inventory tracking and facility equipment replacement
- Completes set-up and break-down of facility for daily operations, programs, and special events
- Contributes and attends regular staff meetings
- Position inclusive of Aztec Recreation Intramural Sports, including but not limited to, working designated facilities and sport activities
Primary Sport Club Functions
- Prepares sport club sites for scheduled activities
- Provides on-site supervision for team practice, competition, and special events
- Enforces all program rules, policies, and procedures as outlined in the Sport Club Handbook and Staff Handbook
- Ensures each Sport Club event is delivered in a safe and enjoyable manner with emphasis on risk management and customer service
- Completes and submits daily reports and forms
- Establishes and maintains effective communications and working relationships with Sport Club participants, coaches, and athletic training staff
- Has knowledge of the mission and goals of Aztec Recreation and the Associated Students and demonstrates a commitment to achieving them
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Greets all customers in a timely manner
- Assists all customers with questions and/or comments
- If unable to assist, refers customer to someone who can
- Maintains positive and effective working relationships with all customers
- Informs supervisor of any customer issues
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Priority given to Work Study
- Prior officiating is desired, but not required
- Experience with event management and customer service preferred
- Knowledge and/or participation of Aztec Recreation programs and facilities preferred
License & Certification:
- First Aid and CPR/AED certifications are required
- Must complete Gender Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work under pressure in stressful situations and make respectable decisions
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must possess a friendly attitude and demeanor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Ability to work effectively with other employees, including fellow Officials and the Supervisor on duty
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and customer communication)
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be willing to work 10-20 hours per week during academic year and be willing to work evenings and weekends. Open schedule availability and willingness to pick up additional shifts on short notice preferred. Work shifts will be scheduled with full consideration of employee’s academic schedule.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of programs; programs may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment with standard office equipment available and in recreation environment with standard gym and sports equipment.
When working outdoors for program activities, exposure to sun, heat, wind, rain, weather and other outdoor elements expected. Outdoor areas will include field areas, pools, and courts. Work may involve exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance). Work may require standing and moving for extended periods. This position may also call for occasional business-related driving.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Competitive Sports Manager & Supervisor
- Works closely with the Competitive Sports Manager and Competitive Sports Program Assistant, and Assistant Athletic Trainers
- Supervised nightly by the Intramural Sports Supervisor
- Interacts with sport club coaches and team members
- Interfaces with other Aztec Recreation Staff
Outside the Organization:
- Athletic Department coaches and staff
Range I – Starting Rate: $11.50 per hour
MVR and DMV record review is required for positions that drive university vehicles and/or passengers for program related trips.