Photographer/Marketing Assistant Job Description
Under the supervision of the MBAC Assistant Director and MBAC Marketing Supervisor the Photographer/Marketing Assistant will be responsible for producing content for use in social media posts, brochures, and marketing materials highlighting the programs and activities occurring at MBAC during the busy summer season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with production of content to connect with customers and the community
- Produce photos, video, and text content of both candid and arranged photo opportunities
- Write articles for newsletters, social media posts, and press releases highlighting MBAC stories and events
- Produce an image library for use in print and web materials throughout the year
- Shoot photos of weekly camps for distribution to parents
- Produce a weekly video highlighting camp activities (view samples at https://www.youtube.com/user/mbacvidz)
- Produce high quality posts to Facebook, Instagram and other social media channels highlighting MBAC activities
- Assist with youth camp check-in and administrative duties during the week
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Marketing or Art majors preferred
- Priority consideration will be given to current SDSU or UCSD students
- Two years DLSR photography experience
- One year social media or blog authoring experience
- One year experience with GoPro and video editing software
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding (must be obtained within the first month of employment- Available at MBAC)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment- Available at MBAC)
- Must complete Gender Awareness trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must work independently with minimal supervision
- Must prioritize tasks and meet all deadlines
- Must produce high-quality content consistent with MBAC culture and branding
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be dependable, punctual and show up ready to work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proven experience editing short video segments.
- Computer experience with Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere, and GoPro Studio preferred but training will be provided to qualified candidates.
- Proven writing ability, photography, and social media experience is essential.
- Must be able to work productively with little or no supervision.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues, and guests
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time seasonal position. Flexibility and willingness to work long or unusual hours including weekends with high demand during summer. Must be available June-August.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements. Job requirements may include getting in the water in the bay or ocean, riding on boats or other watersports equipment. At other times may require working in an office/computer workstation environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean and/or bay while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the MBAC Assistant Director and MBAC Marketing Supervisor
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.