Aztec Adventures Outings Admin Assistant
Aztec Adventures Outings Admin Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Outdoor Programs Supervisor and Outings Lead, the Aztec Adventures Outings Administrative Assistant assists with the logistical preparation associated with our Aztec Adventures Programs. Becoming an integral member of a hard working team of full-time and part-time staff within Aztec Recreation, the Aztec Adventures Outings Administrative Assistant should possess the ability to work independently and as a team member interacting with a diverse population of Aztec Recreation members and staff. The Outings Administrative Assistant is responsible for the enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures to maintain a safe and friendly work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with daily office tasks including responding to customer service inquiries, managing program files (virtual & physical), and updating program forms.
- Ensures all leaders are provided with appropriate paperwork, equipment & clothing, etc. for pre-trip meetings.
- Ensures all outings trip valises are organized for each program and cash advances are secured /balanced before and after each program
- Maintains and Manages communication with individual program members pre and post outing program.
- Ensures customer service standards are met; responding to customer inquiries in a timely manner while growing relationships with additional businesses.
- Have an understanding of the policies and regulations of the facility, Aztec Recreation, and Associated Students and be able to explain and enforce the rules to inquiring members and participants.
- Becomes an important member in the Emergency Action Plan if an incident were to occur
- Enforces and demonstrates all ARC policies and safety practices
- Manages a clean and tidy office during operating hours and is responsible for keeping the office and wall clean, neat and free of any hazardous objects noting any maintenance items needed attention
- Attends and participates in all ARC and Aztec Adventures staff meetings and trainings.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Greet all participants in a timely manner
- Assist all participants with questions and/or comments
- If unable to assist, refers participant to someone who can
- Maintain positive and effective working relationships with all participants
- Inform supervisor of any participant issues
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Proficient computer skills required: must be able to utilize Google Email and Calendar, create reports/presentations utilizing Windows XP, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint as required/needed
- Knowledge about Aztec Recreation and Aztec Adventure is an asset
License & Certification:
- Must be First Aid and CPR/AED certified prior to starting employment
- Additional wilderness certifications (WFA, WFR, WEMT, PCGI, Adventure Leadership Courses, ACA, AMGA, CWI, etc.) preferred
Trainings to be completed within 30 days of hire:
- Gender Awareness
Anti-Harassment for Non-Supervisors
- Must be able to work one-on-one and with groups as many as 60 people
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be able to work effectively with other employees/departments
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must possess a friendly attitude and demeanor
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must have ability to develop and maintain quality effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and co-workers within a diverse, frequently changing campus community
- Must be able to physically lead and demonstrate the skill and/or activity
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must meet commitments and complete tasks satisfactorily
- Must be able to work independently and stay focused under pressure
- Must demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
- Must be accurate and pay attention to detail
- Must help accomplish specific tasks and improve the work process
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and participant communication)
- Evidence of and ability to articulate a strong, current, practical knowledge of outdoor programming
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including written and oral communication
- Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with participants
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be willing to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during academic year.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Outdoor Programs Supervisor
- May include interaction other full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to, Recreation Director, Associate Director of Programs, Facilities Manager, Member Services Supervisor, Building Services and Engineers, Evening Member Services Supervisor, photographers, and videographers