Events Lead Job Description
Under the supervision of the Aztec Student Union Events Planners and the Assistant Director of Programs & Services, the Aztec Student Union Events Lead assists in the scheduling and coordination of meetings and events in the Student Union facilities. Assists in coordinating and planning requirements including, but not limited to: facility reservations, room diagrams, audiovisual and special event services. Collaborates with the Union Programs & Services Team to ensure logistics are executed in accordance with customer needs and Student Union service standards. With superior multi-tasking skills, the Events Lead will be able to assist the Reservation Assistants with administrative functions when there is a high-volume customer service need in the Union Programs & Services office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in coordinating and planning requirements of meetings and events in the Student Union facilities, including, but not limited to: facility reservations, room diagrams, audiovisual and special event services
- Assists in responding to inquiries for the use of the Student Union meeting and event spaces and refers all off-campus inquiries to supervisor for appropriate follow up
- Maintains event details in the Event Management System (EMS) for events assigned to them by the Event Planners and/or Assistant Director of Programs & Services
- Assists in ensuring scheduling information for events in the Student Union facilities is accurate and maintained in a manner compliant with all departmental and university policies and procedures
- Assists in ensuring diagrams are created, stored, maintained and approved by Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) and the California State Fire Marshal as necessary
- Assists in distributing appropriate scheduling information and reports to clients and departments in a timely manner
- Assists in ensuring proper approval documents and processes for events are communicated to client during planning process and are received and completed in advance of event
- Assists Reservation Assistants with administrative functions as needed
- Assists with on-site event supervision as needed and scheduled by supervisors
- Performs other duties as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with various A.S., University departments and Student Organizations
- Openly communicates and collaborates with A.S. co-workers in all departments
- Presents a warm and welcoming environment to all Aztec Student Union clientele with proper office etiquette
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence. Ensures completion of proper documentation for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a regularly enrolled San Diego State University student, carrying at least six units per semester
- Hospitality and Tourism Management majors preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel required
- Customer service experience in a fast-paced, high volume setting is preferred
- Previous event planning experience preferred
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- If hired, the Events Lead cannot be a voting member of an A.S. board, committee, or commission or a voting member on the A.S. Board of Directors and/or the three A.S. Councils
- Must complete Gender Awareness and Sexual Harassment Prevention trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must be comfortable dealing with the public and communicating with supervisors, customers, students, and overall staff in a positive manner
- Must be able to remain focused in an environment with constant interruptions
- Must be capable of positive and upbeat working relationships with staff and customers
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be able to build rapport and create professional relationships
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must work independently without much supervision and have a sense of time management
- Must demonstrate flexibility and cooperation in response to change
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Ability to use and learn to use various computer software programs and processes including: data software, email programs, web browsers, and office related word processing programs
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure.
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to adapt to and work in an environment of constant change, growth and frequent interruptions.
- Must be self-motivated, self-starter and perform with minimal direction and supervision.
- Knowledgeable of Aztec Student Union facilities and all safety procedures included in the building use guidelines
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Must have a flexible schedule to work during weekday business hours on as needed basis. Availability to work during winter break period is required. Availability to work during summer break period is preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
- Directly reports to two Events Planners and the Assistant Director of Union Programs & Services