Government Affairs Assistant
Government Affairs Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Government Affairs Manager, the Government Affairs (GA) Assistant assists in the overall successful daily operations of Government Affairs by performing multiple levels of administrative tasks. The GA Assistant provides administrative support for Government programs to include, but not limited to, student leader meetings, Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign, Rock the Vote, Campus Safety Week, A.S. Elections, Aztec Achievement Awards, and the A.S. Food Pantry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support for the Government Affairs department, including the creation and maintenance of forms, spreadsheets, documents, and other projects as assigned
- Schedules meetings using Google Calendar
- Prepares monthly purchasing card reports for Government Affairs staff
- Attends A.S. Government events as needed to provide event support
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with all A.S. employees and student leaders in the A.S. office
- Works closely with the student volunteers and staff members
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence. Ensures proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a regularly enrolled San Diego State University student, carrying at least six units per semester
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel required
- Have excellent writing and communication skills
- If hired, the Government Affairs Assistant cannot be a voting member of an A.S. board, committee, or commission or a voting member on the A.S. Board of Directors and/or the three A.S. Councils.
- Must be courteous and pleasant at all times
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to details required
- Must be able to follow verbal and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Ability to work well with people
- Ability to work in a diverse, frequently changing population of students
- Must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and work well as part of a team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Knowledge of the Associated Students and San Diego State University
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (20 hours/week during the academic year) position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some weekends and evening shifts may be scheduled, as needed.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including lifting banker boxes and files. This person may also be making deliveries via foot around campus. This person may also spend time with lifting and sort of food supplies in support of the A.S. Food Pantry. Depending on job tasks, may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance).
- Reports directly to the Government Affairs Manager
- Works closely the GA full-time staff:
- Executive Director
- Government Affairs Manager
- Government Affairs Coordinator
- Works closely with Executive Officers and student leaders
Range I, Step I – Starting Rate: $13.00 per hour