Daily Aztec Street Team
Daily Aztec Street Team Job Description
Under the direction of the Editor in Chief and the Advertising Director, the Street Team Representative personally distributes (physically hands out) the print edition of The Daily Aztec newspaper to potential readers each week.
The Street Team Representative is an outgoing, dynamic person with exceptional communication skills. They are self-motivated individuals who will be responsible for engaging with others on a personal basis in order to promote The Daily Aztec brand and distribute newspapers. The ideal candidate is able to carry up to 40 pounds of materials and is comfortable standing for prolonged periods of time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Raising brand awareness through word-of-mouth marketing techniques
- Distributing predetermined numbers of the print edition of The Daily Aztec within a limited period time
- Operating as the “face” of The Daily Aztec
- Attending relevant events to promote and distribute The Daily Aztec
- Transporting promotional materials, including The Daily Aztec newspapers, to and from various locations on campus
- Performing other related duties, responsibilities and projects as assigned
- Assists in tracking the distributed copies of the printed edition and maintains written records of weekly hand-distribution numbers
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with campus groups, students, staff and faculty
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Reports maintenance problems and/or unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Preferred candidate will be a journalism or marketing major
- Sales experience a plus, but not necessary
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and readers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to work independently
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with students, staff, faculty, and alumni
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (6 hours/week), position with expected hours on Wednesday mornings and/or Thursday afternoons with occasional weekend and evening assignments.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally outside and may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, sun, rain, and other environmental risks.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to stand for long periods, and lift up to 40-pound bundles of newspapers.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Editor in Chief and the Advertising Director
- Works closely and collaborates with Daily Aztec section editors, sales manager, office assistant, and account executives
- Interacts with the General Manager