Production Designer Job Description
Under the direction of the Editor in Chief, the Production Designer creates graphics and designs for special pages and issues for the editorial department of The Daily Aztec.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Primary responsibilities include creating front-page graphics for special issues, informational graphics for news, features, or sports stories, and designing illustrations for opinion stories and editorials
- Performs other duties, responsibilities and projects as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with various section editors
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Art/graphic design majors preferred
- Must have advanced working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Some art/publication design experience and appropriate portfolio
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to work independently and on multiple projects
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Proven ability showcasing design skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (4 hours/week) position.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend time sitting and using computers.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Editor in Chief
- Works closely and collaborates with section editors
- Interacts with A.S. Graphic Design Specialist
- Interacts with the General Manager