Editor in Chief
Editor in Chief Job Description
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Chairs of The Editorial Board
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the editorial and production staff of the paper
- Answers university, public and student comments, concerns and questions
- Ensures all staff follow The Daily Aztec, Associated Students,
- Communication Authority Board, Advertising and university policies
- Assures that The Daily Aztec complies with the professional standards set forth in the Society of Professional Journalists
- Code of Ethics, University policies, and laws related to privacy and libel.
- Conducts weekly supervisor meetings and attends monthly admin meetings
- Sets deadlines for special issues
- Prepares end-of-year awards
- Provides final approval on all advertisements regarding alcohol consumption and any other questionable advertisements
- Advises sections of space availability for each day’s paper
- Creates the daily runsheet
- Reads copy during the day
- Prepares performance evaluations on the managing editors and the art director each semester
- Reviews and gives final approval on all editorial and production staff performance evaluations, raises, and job descriptions
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Must complete Sexual Harassment and Computer Security Awareness training within 30 days of hire.
- Must attend month Communication Authority Board meetings
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must meet commitments and complete tasks satisfactorily
- Must be able to work independently
- Must work effectively with other employees/departments and develop positive work relationships
- Must help accomplish specific tasks and improve work process
- Must be accurate and pay attention to detail
- Must demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize workload
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (25-30 hours/week), position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.