Sport Club Head Coach - Dance
Sport Club Head Coach - Dance Job Description
Under the direction of the AS/SDSU Sport Club Coordinator, the Head Coach for the dance team will be responsible for the following duties: planning and administration; design and implementation of practice schedules and training schemes; directing and supervising assistant coaches with daily training schemes; coordination of member recruitment, auditions, and retention; coordination and submission of competition entries; coordination of team travel; alumni engagement; coordination of community and school outreach; fiscal management; and the promotion and marketing of the rowing program. The position averages 25 – 30 hours per week and requires availability for morning, evening, and weekend hours, including rehearsals, games, performances, appearances, and competitions.
The Dance Team Head Coach is responsible for the enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures as outlined in the Sport Club Handbook as well as all duties associated with coaching a collegiate club program. The successful candidate will be expected to enforce and comply with all policies and procedures established by Associated Students/SDSU, the Sport Club Program, United Dance Association (UDA), and the United Spirit Association (USA) while serving as a positive role model for the program and SDSU. The Job goal is to coordinate and oversee the program in the best interests of the students of San Diego State University.
REPORTS TO: A.S. Intramural Sports and Sport Club Program Coordinator
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Annually for the duration of the sport season in which they are coaching.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Comply with all job expectations as outlined in the Associated Students/SDSU Sport Club Coaching Agreement
- Ensure individual and program compliance with all policies and procedures of Associated Students/SDSU and Aztec Recreation
- Ensure safety of all team members, assistant coaches, and equipment is the top priority at all times
- Represent the team and Associated Students/SDSU in a professional manner at all times
- Assist team members in achieving recruiting goals
- Demonstrate competency in teaching, dance technique, choreography, and cleaning of dance routines
- Attend or be represented at all meetings scheduled by San Diego State Athletics, Band, or Sports Club
- Schedule performances, competitions, practices, choreographers, and facilities appropriate for the SDSU Dance Team
- Assist team members in achieving fundraising goals
- Oversee the timely completion and submission of all paperwork with SDSU, including travel forms, competition paperwork, and financial requests
- Assist with the coordination of travel arrangements
- Supervise team members and assume responsibility for their conduct at team functions
- Work collaboratively with team officers and administrators to develop and achieve program priorities
- Possess the knowledge to assess team members’ talent level for placement in competition routines
- Maintain team’s positive community standing
- Assist in the outreach to alumni to recruit support for the team
- Represent the team in regional or national meetings with other coaches or organizations
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensure individual and program compliance with all policies and procedures of Associated Students/SDSU and SDSU Athletics
CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING:
- First Aid Certification
- CPR Certification
- AED Certification
- Attend all mandatory Aztec Recreation/Sport Club Staff meetings and trainings
- Knowledge of dance team skills, technique, choreography, and teaching
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Prior coaching experience at the high school or college level
- Established networks within the dance community, and understanding of the rules/policies of prominent organizations (UDA, USA, NDA)
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Possess commitment to student and program development
- Advanced level of knowledge in Pom, Jazz and Hip-Hop
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there may be exposure to unusual elements such as, extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Submit letter of interest, resume, and a list of three coaching references to email@example.com. Your application will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be interviewed ASAP. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Contact: For more information regarding the position, contact the Dance Team President at firstname.lastname@example.org.