Marketing & Creative Writing Assistant
Marketing & Creative Writing Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Associate Director of Marketing, the Marketing and Creative Writing Assistant is responsible for helping to market and promote Associated Students programs and events through creative writing and brand strategy. This may include, but not limited to, efforts in the following areas: the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, Student Government, Aztec Recreation, Viejas Arena, Cal Coast Open Air Theatre, Mission Bay Aquatic Center, SDSU Children’s Center and more. Additionally, this person is responsible for the creation of student success stories and articles designed to help tell the “A.S. Story”.
This position also assists the professional marketing staff with social media content development and tracking, website updates/revisions, communications plans, data collection and market research, producing marketing materials, and other duties as assigned.
This position offers professional work experience that provides a broad range of skills to students who are pursuing marketing-related careers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates social media content and strategy for departmental social media sites
- Develops regular articles and creative content for Associated Students’ programs, events and student highlights
- Assists with marketing and promoting Associated Students’ programs and events across campus
- Social Media oversight, management and strategy of A.S. social media channels
- Utilizes analytics and metrics to identify campus trends and strategize marketing and promotions efforts
- Assists with event photography, including photo taking, photo archiving and tracking
- Assists with implementation of strategic marketing plan for A.S.
- Assists with A.S. campus branding and telling the “A.S. Story”
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence.
- Ensures proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Journalism, Business Management or Marketing majors preferred
- Creative writing experience required
- Proficient computer skills utilizing MS Word and Excel required
- Marketing, promotions, public speaking, and social media experience preferred
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite preferred
License & Certification:
- Must have current valid CA Driver’s License and insurance
- Must complete Gender Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Golf Cart Training
- Create a strategic plan outlining how to use social media outlets effectively to reach marketing goals
- Learn and execute new media strategy that provides effective marketing for business outlets, service outlets and student organizations
- Work with student videographers to create and develop photo and video content
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with students, staff and faculty
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability and knowhow working with social media sites including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work 10-15 hours per week including occasional evenings and weekends as needed; employee schedules vary according to business needs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Associate Director of Marketing
- Interacts with full-time and part-time A.S. employees
- Interacts with A.S. student volunteers