Sports Editor Job Description
The Sports Editor will coordinate sports staff covering sports-related news both on-campus and off.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sets up, edits and designs print sports pages in InDesign
- Assign stories to sports writers
- Coordinate with sports information directors to set up interviews and coordinate photography availability
- Edit stories of writers
- Post edited stories on thedailyaztec.com using the Wordpress
- Post stories on the DailyAztecSports twitter and Facebook page
- Manage the DA Sports Facebook group
- Conducts weekly meetings/training with sports writers
- Attends all editorial board meetings.
- Submits credential requests for events that require them
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
Must have previously been a writer on The Daily Aztec or their community college newspaper for transfer students for at least one academic year.
Must know AP Style
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
- Must complete Sexual Harassment training within 30 days of hire.