Under the direction of the Editor in Chief and Managing Editor, edits opinion writers’ articles, meeting with writers, recruiting potential new writers, formatting layout on pages, uploading articles online
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Editing opinion articles for content, clarity, grammar and accuracy.
- Meeting with opinion writers to discuss edits and pitches for new articles.
- Tabling with the rest of staff to recruit new writers as well as recruiting people in class. Meeting with them for an interview and having them fill out paperwork.
- Formatting the opinion page weekly and doing layout. Uploading articles online.
- Communicating with graphic designers to get illustrations for issue weekly.
- Tabling at the farmer’s market on Thursdays
- Reaching out to writers weekly to get articles from them.
- Organizing a schedule so that no writer has to write two weeks in a row.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- No specific experience necessary but must be willing to learn how to write for a newspaper and accept feedback on writing skills.
- AP Style knowledge preferred
- Must complete Sexual Harassment Prevention training within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to communicate well with others.
- Must be adapt well, working in a newsroom requires flexibility in hours and mindset
- Organizational skills
- Must be able to be a team leader
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.”
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.”
Inside the Organization:
- Editor in Chief and Managing Editor
- Other editors and copy editors
- Graphic designer
- Staff writers
- General Manager
Outside the Organization:
- Anyone interviewed for an article
- Potential new writers
- The SDSU community when handing out newspapers
Range I – $11.50 per hour