Arts and Culture Editor
Arts and Culture Editor Job Description
Under The Daily Aztec, the Arts and Culture editor is the lead individual in charge of the Arts and Culture section both online and in print.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages a team of writers with content and pitches. This includes weekly meetings and check-ins
- Teaches new writers AP style and journalistic writing
- Edits all stories for structure and AP style
- Stays in tune with campus arts and music culture for event coverage and story profiles
- Designs print page layouts using InDesign for the weekly print issue
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Maintains source and PR relationships with various Art and Music department on campus
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Must have previously been a writer on The Daily Aztec or their community college newspaper for transfer students for at least one academic year.
- Must complete Computer Security Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs such as InDesign.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including some evenings and weekends; employee schedules vary according to deadlines and Daily Aztec needs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Managing Editor and the Editor in Chief
- Works closely and collaborates the ME and EIC
- Interacts with the ME and EIC and General Manager.
Outside the Organization:
- Interacts with students, faculty, staff, Associated Students, University departments and organizations