A/V Technician Job Description
Under the supervision of the Aztec Student Union Assistant Director and the general direction of the both the Facility Manager Lead and Facility Manager, the primary responsibility of the Audio-Visual Technician is to ensure audio-visual technical support for programs within the facilities are operating in accordance with guidelines established by Associated Student, San Diego State University, and the Aztec Student Union. Audio-Visual Technicians operate professional audio, lighting, and projection equipment for special events in a high-quality fashion. Audio-Visual Technicians also maintain and repair audio-visual equipment as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs set-up, operation, and tear-downs of professional quality sound reinforcement systems, theatrical lighting systems, film and video projection equipment, and computer hardware and networking equipment for programs occurring within any of the Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Troubleshoots and responds to audio-visual problems as they arise with appropriate solutions.
- Ensures that all proper practices are taken for the set-up and tear-down of all audio-visual equipment is done in a safe and efficient manner.
- Performs weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually, and as needed inspections of all audio-visual equipment as to adhere to proper preventative maintenance practices. Repairs and services all pieces of audio-visual equipment as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Aztec Student Union facilities
- Acts as the facility representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Maintains safe, orderly, and clean facilities during events occurring within all Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Acts as the on-site contact for Aztec Student Union clients before, during, and after programs to ensure that the audio-visual needs for every client’s expectations are met in a positive manner. This level of professionalism applies to all performers that may be involved in the program.
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Act. Ensures all programs within Aztec Student Union facilities comply with such codes.
- Completes Post Event Reports documenting all aspects relating to audio-visual both positive and negative in regards to larger events held in Aztec Student Union facilities.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Previous experience in the set-up, operation, and tear down of professional audio, lighting, and projection equipment is required
- Higher level of proven previous experience with audio-visual equipment will be compensated accordingly
- Must be comfortable dealing with the public and communicating with customers, students, and staff
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to communicated effectively both verbally and in writing
- Competence in social skills and cultural diversity
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITION
This is a part-time position (up to 20 hours/week). Flexibility and willingness to work various hours including, evenings and weekends; employee’s schedules vary according to business needs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports directly to the Aztec Student Union Technical Services Coordinator
- Generally directed by the Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.