Under the direction of the AS/SDSU Aztec Recreation Marketing Coordinator the Multimedia Communications Assistant is responsible for creating motivating and informative content to create awareness for programs and membership as well as inspire others to engage in the Aztec Recreation Experience. The position works within the Marketing team to help build relationships with Aztec Recreation members and participants to better achieve departmental goals and enhance the Aztec Recreation experience and brand loyalty. This outcome is reached through multiple media channels that include, but are not limited to, social media, closed circuit television, and campus publications. As part of a marketing team, the Multimedia Communications Assistant assists in the development, marketing, and live publication at Aztec Recreation, Live Well Aztecs and A.S. special events. The Public Relations Assistant is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation mission and values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect.
- Individual must be fully knowledgeable of all the benefits (physical, mental and economic) of Aztec Recreation membership and programs. Individual must be ready, willing and able to communicate the benefits to current and prospective members and participants clearly and effectively in person, in writing and on the phone
- Develop graphic slides ready for various formats including closed circuit TV screens, web pages and social media
- Operate the Aztec Recreation Asana project management software ensuring coverage of all Aztec Recreation programs, services and facilities at appropriate times
- Writes articles, including, but not limited to, intercept interviews, producing email messages and making phone calls about featured members and staff for the Aztec Recreation newsletter, a monthly email sent to members.
- Organizes content and seeks current, relevant content from other recreation staff and professionals. The PR Assistant researches fitness and wellness topics, writes and publishes articles, and assists in producing videos for Aztec Recreation digital media platforms
- Completes 1st person view and real-time updates of program content and information from participants point of view.
- Assists in organizing photo and video shoots
- Manages daily posts, advertisements, reviews and comments on all Aztec Recreation social media accounts, including but not limited to Hootsuite, Facebook, Instagram, Yelp, Google + and Twitter accounts.
- Maintains current trend information on social media platforms and ensures the use of hashtags, as well as, style guidelines including fonts and photo styles are maintained and used appropriately underline Aztec Recreation’s guidelines.
- Assists in developing and running special events each semester including but not limited to open houses, Live Well Late Night events, Health Expos, Explore SDSU, facility grand openings, outreach tabling both on and off-campus, and the annual ARC ‘til Dark
- Other duties as necessary
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Must be a current or accepted SDSU student studying Public Relations, Advertising, Communications, Business, or Marketing major preferred
- Must carry at least six units per semester
- Undergraduates with two or more years at SDSU preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, public speaking experience and creative writing ability
- Organizational skills and knowledge of social media use for business is preferred preferred
- MS Word and Excel proficiency required
- Skill with photography and Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva or other photo editing software preferred
- Possess current certifications in CPR, AED, and First Aid; Confident being the first responder to injuries and incidents that may occur within Aztec Recreation facilities
- Licensed drivers with proof of insurance preferred
- Ability to multi task, work in a fast-paced environment, and provide strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of Aztec Recreation programs and facilities preferred
- 18+ months before graduation
Schedule and Working Conditions:
- This is a part time, 15 - 20 hours per week, including evenings and weekends
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is performed both within an office environment and outdoors. In the office environment standard office equipment is available. Outdoor work will involve exposure to variable weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, standing for long periods of time, sitting for long periods of time, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Part-Time, Range I, Starting Rate: $11.50 per hour