Multimedia Communications Assistant
Multimedia Communications Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Aztec Recreation Marketing Coordinator, the Multimedia Communications Assistant is responsible for creating motivating and informative content to create awareness for programs and membership as well as inspire others to engage in the Aztec Recreation Experience. The position works within the Marketing team to help build relationships with Aztec Recreation members and participants to better achieve departmental goals and enhance the Aztec Recreation experience and brand loyalty. This outcome is reached through multiple media channels that include, but are not limited to, social media, closed circuit television, and campus publications. As part of a marketing team, the Multimedia Communications Assistant assists in the development, marketing, and live publication at Aztec Recreation, Live Well Aztecs and A.S. special events. The Public Relations Assistant is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation mission and values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops graphic slides ready for various formats including closed circuit TV screens, web pages and social media
- Operates the Aztec Recreation Asana project management software ensuring coverage of all Aztec Recreation programs, services and facilities at appropriate times
- Writes articles, including, but not limited to, intercept interviews, producing email messages and making phone calls about featured members and staff for the Aztec Recreation newsletter, a monthly email sent to members.
- Organizes content and seeks current, relevant content from other recreation staff and professionals.
- Researches fitness and wellness topics, writes and publishes articles, and assists in producing videos for Aztec Recreation digital media platforms
- Completes 1st person view and real-time updates of program content and information from participants’ points of view.
- Assists in organizing photo and video shoots
- Manages daily posts, advertisements, reviews and comments on all Aztec Recreation social media accounts, including but not limited to Hootsuite, Facebook, Instagram, Yelp, Google + and Twitter accounts.
- Maintains current trend information on social media platforms and ensures the use of hashtags, as well as, style guidelines including fonts and photo styles are maintained and used appropriately underline Aztec Recreation’s guidelines.
- Assists in developing and running special events each semester including but not limited to open houses, Live Well Late Night events, Health Expos, Explore SDSU, facility grand openings, outreach tabling both on and off-campus, and the annual ARC ‘til Dark
- Other duties as necessary
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
Public Relations, Advertising, Communications, Business, or Marketing major preferred
- Undergraduates with two or more years at SDSU preferred
- Creative writing experience required
- Proficient computer skills utilizing MS Word and Excel required
- Marketing, promotions, public speaking, and social media experience preferred
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Current valid CA Driver’s License
- Possess current certifications in CPR, AED, and First Aid
- Must complete Gender Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Must complete Anti-Harassment training within 30 days of hire
- Create a strategic plan outlining how to use social media outlets effectively to reach marketing goals
- Learn and execute new media strategy that provides effective marketing for business outlets, service outlets and student organizations
- Work with student videographers to create and develop photo and video content
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with students, staff and faculty
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability and knowhow working with social media sites including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
- Ability to multi task, work in a fast-paced environment, and provide strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of Aztec Recreation programs and facilities preferred
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends; employee schedules vary according to business needs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Aztec Recreation Marketing Coordinator
- Works closely and collaborates with ARC Graphic Artists and ARC Marketing Team
- Interacts with other full-time and part-time A.S. employee
- Interacts with A.S. student volunteers
Outside the Organization:
- Interacts with various vendors and University organizations