Student Union Office Assistant
Student Union Office Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Aztec Student Union Office Assistant (OA) assists in the overall successful daily operations of the Student Union by performing multiple levels of administrative tasks. The assistant will be expected to help various staff members to accomplish their responsibilities. This assistant will help with employee relations and various other professional functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support for the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union full-time staff.
- Ensures daily office tasks are completed in a timely manner according to established guidelines.
- Maintains knowledge of campus and Aztec Student Union policies and procedures and ensures appropriate interpretation, communication and adherence with customers.
- Receives, enters, maintains and submits work order requests for the Student Union. Ensures the work order process is communicated to primary contacts of each building department or partner area. Assists in tracking, follow up and communication of work order submission status.
- Assists in coding and obtaining proper signatures for invoices.
- Assists the Student Union Team in scheduling meetings, returning phone calls, conducting research and special projects.
- Assists with purchasing card monthly reporting.
- Assists in processing requests for digital signage and ensures information is current and updated.
- Maintains the Student Union partners’ operating hours and staff contact information including updates and dissemination on a semester basis.
- Provides general assistance for Student Union partners (i.e. parking permits, general campus information).
- Maintains accurate contact and distribution lists for the building partners, staff, and other campus offices.
- Assist with assessment reporting and documentation
- Maintains uniform shirt and jacket inventory. Suggest new orders when needed.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Maintains working relationships with all Student Union partners and Student Union guests.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a regularly enrolled San Diego State University student, carrying at least six units per semester.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel required.
- One year of customer service experience required.
- Previous office/administrative experience preferred.
- Must complete Gender Awareness Training within 30 days of hire.
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion.
- Ability to work well with people.
- Highly organized individual with keen written and verbal skills and exceptional attention to details.
- Must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and work well as part of a team.
- Must be courteous and pleasant at all times.
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment.
- Knowledge of the Aztec Student Union, Associated Students and San Diego State University.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Knowledge of the Associated Students and San Diego State University
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Schedule will consist of no more than 20 hours per week.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including lifting banker boxes and files. This person will also be making deliveries via foot around campus.
- Reports directly to the Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations
- Works closely the Union full-time staff:
- Aztec Student Union Director
- Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations
- Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Facilities
- Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Program Services
- Associate Director of Programs & Marketing
- A.S. Office Supervisor
- A.S. Business Services team
- Designated building partner team members
If hired, the Student Union Office Assistant cannot be a voting member of an A.S. board, committee, or commission or a voting member on the A.S. Board of Directors and/or the three A.S. Councils.