Aquaplex Lead Job Description
Under the direction of the Aztec Aquaplex Manager, the Aztec Aquaplex Lead is responsible for supervising Aquaplex operations and staff during the absence of the Aquaplex career staff. Additionally, the Aquaplex Lead is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect at the Aztec Aquaplex and Aztec Tennis Center. Overall the Aquaplex Lead provides a high standard of the Aztec Recreation experience while working at the front desk, pool deck, tennis center, and administrative shifts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consistently and confidently enforce all Aztec Recreation policies to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all members, affiliates and guests
- Maintain the operations and programs of the Aztec Aquaplex facility during early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays during the absence of the Aztec Aquaplex career staff
- Assist with hiring, training, coaching and evaluating the Aztec Aquaplex staff
- Supervise Aquaplex part time student staff and building operations; Ongoing assessment of staff and facility operations and provides suggestions for improvement
- Set-up/break-down of facility for daily operations, programs, group rentals and special events
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate risk management plan; prepare and review required injury/accident reports; Proactively take steps to eliminate future risks and hazards
- Attend and participate in Aztec Recreation staff trainings monthly meetings
- Conduct facility equipment inspections and complete daily reports
- Position includes attending to facility equipment and cleaning of the facility
- Main point of contact for day of facility reservations and daily operations
- Position inclusive of Aquapelx Member Services Representative, Aquaplex Lifeguard, and Tennis Supervisor position responsibilities, including but not limited to working in other program and facility shifts.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Provide front line customer service to all members and guests; Answer member questions, provide accurate information, and provide tours of the facility
- Ensure completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee and forwards to supervisor
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate risk management plan, including being confident as the first respondent to all injuries and accidents; prepare required injury/accident reports
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence; Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
- Assist with monitoring and fixing automatic chemical disinfectant system and related functions
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Work study preferred
- Proficient knowledge of Aztec Aquaplex operations and Aztec Recreation programs, facilities, and policies required
- Knowledge of CSI Spectrum Software, Microsoft applications, and Aztec Recreation website required
- Previous aquatic safety and/or supervision experience preferred
- Previous front line customer service and cash handling experience preferred
- Previous experience supervising staff is preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be certified in American Red Cross CPR, AED, and First Aid prior to the first day of work
- Must possess or be willing to obtain American Red Cross Lifeguarding or Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification within first month of employment
- Must successfully complete cross training and shadow shifts for Aquaplex areas – Membership, Pool Deck, & Tennis Center
- Must complete Sexual Harassment Prevention and Gender Awareness trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must be confident being the first responder to all accidents and incidents within Aztec Recreation facilities
- Must able to take initiative to find and complete additional tasks not directly assigned by the Member Services supervisors
- Must be able to complete all job responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Must be comfortable working in stressful situations and making respectable decisions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficient knowledge of Aquaplex operations and Aztec Recreation programs, facilities, policies
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and public skills to interact with members, guests, and all Aztec Recreation staff
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail and succeed working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other program areas, and supervisors
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Knowledgeable of CSI Spectrum Software, Microsoft applications, Aztec Recreation website, and Microsoft applications
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part time position with a work schedule that consists of 10- 20 hours per week during the academic school year, 25-37 hours/week during summer, including early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays with full consideration of the employee’s academic schedule.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Aztec Aquaplex Manager
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.