Senior Operations Lead
Senior Operations Lead Job Description
The Senior Operations Lead position is intended to provide support to the operations team at a higher level. This position is a leadership position within the Operation Lead team and will be looked toward to assist with higher level trainings, perform critical administrative duties as needed and work higher tiered special events in the stead of full-time staff. This position will help lead the direction of the operations team by providing constructive feedback and suggesting ideas for improvement and change.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Operations, and under supervision of the Operations Supervisor, the primary responsibility of the Senior Operations Lead is to ensure that programs within the facilities are operating in accordance with guidelines established by Associated Students, San Diego State University, and the Student Union facilities. The Senior Operations Lead is responsible for the execution of administrative work provided by the full-time team in addition to providing services during special events that take place within the Student Union facilities. This position also provides direction to the part-time Operations team, and other part-time subcontracted laborers to meet the daily activity schedule as needed. The Senior Operations Lead assists and acts as the primary representatives of Associated Students, responsible for the operations of all Student Union facilities in the absence of full-time staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with the inspection of Program Equipment and Audio Visual Storage rooms for cleanliness and organization on a weekly basis and takes proper action to address and correct any issues
- Monitors inventory of Event Production Supplies and Operational Cleaning Supplies on a weekly basis; communicates order needs to the Assistant Director of Operations, or designee, as levels of supplies dictate
- Assists full-time staff in the routine Safety Inspections for all Student Union facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Student Union facilities
- Completes special projects as assigned
- Maintains safe, orderly, and clean facilities during events occurring within all Student Union facilities
- Acts as on-site contact for Student Union clients before, during, and after programs to ensure that every client’s expectations are met in a positive manner especially with events requiring a higher level of supervision or oversight
- Acts as the building liaison with all event personnel including Audio Visual Technicians, Custodians, Caterers, Security, Police, Ticket Takers, Ticket Sellers, Parking Attendants, and
- Vendors during programs and events. Hosts briefings when necessary and advises all groups of potential issues as needed
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Act; ensures all programs within Student Union facilities comply with such codes. Maintains a visible presence during events to ensure all guests experience at Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities are positive and memorable
- Completes Post Event Reports documenting all aspects both positive and negative in regards to larger events held in Student Union facilities
Event Equipment Management
- Ensures that all Student Union program equipment remains secure and accounted for; conducts periodic and frequent inventory audits for all equipment and assess inventory needs.
- Notifies full-time staff in a timely manner when it is determined that equipment is missing or it is found to be damaged
- Performs routine maintenance of all Student Union program equipment to ensure that all items remain in a safe and useable manner; removes items from the active inventory as items break down
- Acts as the building representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to; capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities
- Completes Incident Reports, Injury/Illness Reports, Work Orders, and other documentation in terms of incidents that occurred within Aztec Student Union facilities
- Performs and/or ensures hourly rounds of the building are completed throughout shift. Meeting rooms, event and general usage reports should be completed including attendance counts as well as reporting any issues
- Reviews daily Shift Reports submitted by both Operations Leads and Operations Staff for issues and/or concerns that require further follow up
- Assists with, and coordinates, the setup configuration and cleanliness of all Aztec Student Union event spaces as requested by customers in accordance with the daily setup sheets in advance of their program start times
- Responsible for properly opening and closing of all Student Union facilities at the beginning and end of each business day in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Knowledge of custodial standards and maintenance practices to apply when necessary; willing to perform limited custodial and maintenance tasks to maintain base levels of operations in absence of such personnel
- Knowledgeable of Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures; performs fire and life safety procedures, and acts as responsible party for ensuring fire and life safety in the absence of full-time staff
- Assists the Assistant Director of Operations and Operations Supervisor in the training, education, and counseling of Operations Leads and other Operations Staff to perform their duties and responsibilities in accordance with Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide. Must be able to effectively direct Operations Leads and Operations Staff to not only meet daily needs set forth by the activity schedule, but prepare for upcoming programs in periods of down time
- Coordinates the Operations Lead Trainee program to ensure timelines are met, shift evaluations are collected, and appropriate shift scheduling is occurring
- Leads in the set-up and strikes of event and meeting room spaces throughout the day and occasionally late at night or early in the morning to ensure on-time completion of upcoming programs as dictated by the program schedule
- Assists with conducting monthly staff meetings for the Operations department
- Provides input for performance evaluations for Operations Leads
- Assists with the recruitment, selection, and hiring of Operations Leads
- Assists with, and coordinates, the delivery and set-up of the audio-visual (AV) equipment requested by customers in advance of meeting start times. Ensures AV equipment is setup in accordance with the daily activity schedule and that it is in proper working order. Ensures safety of all AV setups.
- Advises customers on how to operate AV equipment.
- Coordinates retrieval of AV equipment at the conclusion of events to ensure items are safely stored
- Ensures that all Student Union AV equipment remains secure and accounted for. Conducts periodic and frequent inventory audits to account for all equipment and assess inventory needs. Notifies full-time staff in a timely manner when it is determined that equipment is missing or it is found to be damaged
- Capable of trouble-shooting AV equipment and willing to learn about the mechanical and electrical workings of various audio, light, video, and projection equipment for correcting problems and also preventative maintenance
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence
- Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a San Diego State University student taking a minimum of six units per semester
- OPEN TO CURRENT INTERNAL AZTEC STUDENT UNION APPLICANTS ONLY
- Minimum 1 semester of Aztec Student Union employment experience preferred.
Licenses & Certifications:
- CPR, First Aid, & AED Certificates preferred
Trainings to be completed within 30 days of hire:
- Gender Awareness
- Computer Security Awareness
- Anti-Harassment for Supervisors
- Must have competence in social skills and cultural diversity
- Must be able to develop a good working relationship with fellow employees and be willing to work as a team and promote teamwork values
- Must be able to effectively direct the work of fellow part-time student employees.
- Must be able to facilitate meetings, trainings, and orientations in a professional manner.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- During academic semesters must commit to working an average of 15 hours a week
- Must be able to attend a weekly Student Building Manager meeting
- Must be comfortable in a public environment and communicating with a diverse population of customers, students, and staff in a variety of areas.
- Must have a flexible schedule and willingness to work weekends, holidays, opening and closing shifts. Ability to work during summers and break periods is preferred.
- Must be able to provide constructive and positive feedback to student staff during shift. Communicate building issues to appropriate full-time staff.
- Demonstrate confidence in making appropriate decisions in difficult situations.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be able to lift and push 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), follow and communicate safety procedures to prevent work-related injuries.
- Transportation, delivery and setup of equipment to on-campus Associated Students sponsored events. Must maintain a valid California driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to move and direct crowds effectively for safety and security purposes
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve and remain calm and professional under difficult situations
- Strong organizational skills required
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including weekends, holidays, and long hours on an as needed basis. Ability to work during summers and break periods is preferred; employee schedules vary according to business needs. Must be able to work 8 hours a week minimum.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
This position may also call for occasional business-related driving.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports directly to the Operations Supervisor
- Receives direction from Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Operations
- Works collaboratively with Senior Operations Leads, the Operations Leads, and other Operations Staff
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Range III, Step I – Starting Rate: $14.50 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
MVR and DMV record review is required for positions that drive university vehicles with passengers.