Under the direction of the Facility Operations Manager, the Operations Assistant assists the building service staff in performing repairs and maintenance on a wide range of building equipment tasks in Viejas Arena, Open Air Theatre, and Alumni Center as assigned. The Operations Assistant performs a variety of tasks on the interior and exterior of the buildings, performing basic/minor repairs to floors, walls, fixtures, equipment and furniture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Routinely check and replace light bulbs and fluorescent lamps, as necessary, in and around the buildings.
- Assist with cleaning, maintenance and repairs of building fixtures and equipment including, but not limited to locks, windows, doors, plaster, linoleum and concrete repairs.
- Assist Building Engineers in making minor electrical repairs, including changing ballasts, light bulbs and repairs to electrical equipment.
- Assist in maintaining and repairing plumbing fixtures.
- Assist in painting and preparing surfaces for painting.
- Maintain maintenance records according to Viejas Arena policies and procedures.
- Other maintenance work as required.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments.
- Works closely with the various departments within Viejas Arena to ensure collaboration and communication.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies.
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices.
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence.
- Ensures proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor.
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately.
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Engineering majors preferred
- Work Study Preferred
- Familiarity with use of basic hand and power tools
- Background in fixing and repairing building fixtures and equipment is desirable
License & Certification:
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to the Viejas Arena and Associated Students Codes of Safe Practices
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
- Must be available to work year round, weekends and late evenings.
- Continually work toward improving technical skills
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with other staff, customers, and vendors
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have strong critical thinking skills, a willingness to help others, and a strong desire to learn a wide variety of skills
- Knowledge in the use of basic hand and power tools is preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong problem solving skills
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during certain times of the year.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders and high scissor lifts.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Facility Operations Manager
Range I, Step I – Starting Rate: $11.50 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.