Ticket Office Lead
Ticket Office Lead Job Description
Under the supervision of the Ticket Office Manager and Ticket Office Supervisor, this position will be responsible for various tasks related to the successful implementation and execution of various policies and procedures internal to Associated Students. The student lead will demonstrate sound character and judgment and is entrusted access to areas and resources within the box office that is off limits to student ticket sellers and event ticket sellers. The student lead will act as primary contact in temporary absence of TOM and TOS and will manage smaller events where the TOM and TOS are not mandated presence. These events are restricted but not limited to cheer events, women’s basketball, non-box office ticketed events where they serve as a proxy to answer questions or direct personnel to correct resource.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effective leadership of peers and ability to communicate and provide the most accurate information, instruction and assistance to all student ticket officer sellers in the absence of TOM or TOS.
- Thorough knowledge of AS policies and procedures and advocate for a safe work environment for all.
- Effectively communicate and escalate issues that may require guidance of TOM and TOS where necessary. Must be able to prioritize issues based on impact to AS organization, Viejas Arena and Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre events and facilities.
- Assist as necessary in all areas of event execution. Must be able to work independently and problem-solve issues that do not need to be escalated to TOM and TOS. Student lead must be able to communicate effectively with Director staff, TOM, TOS, event staff, production staff and guests.
- Student Lead will coordinate with TOS on tasks that must be addressed prior to all events, such tasks include but are not limited to signage distribution, ADA relocates for events, event info sheets for sellers, deliver will-call/guest list tickets for Viejas Arena and Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre events, escort patrons when ticket issues have been cleared by TOM or TOS through pass gate, assist ticket sellers and event ticket sellers with questions and issues, if necessary, make themselves available to open up additional ticket windows to alleviate traffic.
- Communicate effectively and courteously with customers, fellow staff members, event staff, production staff and others who may utilize the ticket office
- Provide superior customer service to all internal clients
- Assist with miscellaneous task prior to, during and at the conclusion of box office closure.
- As needed may be required to come into office to close and arm box office when TOM or TOS are not available to work through end of shift.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintain positive working relationships with all entities that are present during event. This includes box office, event staff, production and all other essential personnel that interact with box office during execution of event.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Student lead must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- This position is not extended to non-student staff.
- Customer service and cash handling experience preferred
License & Certification:
- Must be First Aid and CPR/AED certified prior to hiring
Trainings to be completed within 30 days of hire:
- Anti-Harassment for Supervisors
- Computer Security Awareness
- Defensive Driver Training
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff, production, event management and critically important, our paying patrons.
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow any set of instructions issued from box office management.
- Constant attention to high level of customer service, including all aspects of service delivery such as appropriate phone etiquette (greeting, transferring calls, voice tone, and grammar), is a necessity.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guest
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and escalate issues as necessary to TOS and TOM.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Scheduling of hours outside of normally scheduled hours is based on event staffing needs. Events may take place on nights and weekends and availability during these periods is necessary to be scheduled for events. Some events may require later availability to meet the requests of the promoter. With events that require only a student lead presence, the start time may be earlier than normal hours of operation and extend beyond normal hours as well. In addition, many events may take place during summer and winter break. Extended shifts may be available seasonally for fulfillment of university sponsored events that require extended hours to accommodate the distribution of large volume of tickets.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work demand during business hours may be sedentary, however, during events work environment will shift dynamically with slow and busy periods. Student lead will communicate constantly with TOM and TOS to receive any change in instructions or receive further directions. During events, student lead must be able to effectively assume and discharge responsibilities of tasks and situations and at all times must use best judgement when making decisions. Must be able to work with large crowds and work as efficiently and effectively as possible. Some patrons may be less than pleasant in tone and it is critically important to be able to be listen and demonstrate professionalism and empathy for them. Know when it is necessary to escalate issues to TOS and TOM. Student lead will show proficient knowledge is all areas of operation of ticket office and knowledge of AS policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position evolves with the work environment and will fluctuate from standing and sitting to normal office environment and fast paced environment as we ingress/egress patrons into the venues to meet the starting times for events.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Ticket Office Manager and Ticket Office Supervisor
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Range II, Step III - Start rate: $14.00 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.