Member Services Program Assistant
Member Services Program Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Member Services Supervisor, the Member Services Program Assistant is responsible for supervising the Aztec Recreation Center facility operations and Members Services staff during the evening hours of 3pm-11:30pm. This position will focus on the safety and operations, staff supervision, training, evening operations, safety and maintaining set facility and customer standards. The Member Services Program Assistant is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation mission and values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage evening operations of the Aztec Recreation Center, ARC Express and Racquetball facility to ensure compliance with all Aztec Recreation, facility, and university policies to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all members, affiliates and guests
- Responsible for the supervision and security of the Aztec Recreation Center, ARC Express and Racquetball facility. Consistently and confidently enforce all polices established to ensure participant safety and facility integrity
- Appropriately and confidently act as the first responder to all injuries and incidents occurring during overnight hours of operation
- Responsible for assisting with hiring, training, scheduling, coaching and evaluating Member Services staff; will assist with department trainings and in-service meetings for the Member Services staff • Responsible for holding regular meetings with the Member Services student lead staff
- Assist with administrative tasks, data entry, reports, program statistics, filing, and reporting
- Assist Aztec Recreation program staff with evening programming (intramurals, sport clubs events, etc.),
- Responsible for completing and reporting regular facility audits and equipment inspections
- Responsible for accurate data entry of membership enrollment, cancellation, billing and demographic information
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate risk management plan; prepare required injury/incident reports; Report any facility hazards; Proactively take steps to eliminate future risk
- Position includes attending to laundry services, cleaning exercise equipment, processing membership and program registration and point of sale transactions, equipment checkout station, providing facility tours and verifying member eligibility
- Knowledgeable of departmental and facility procedures and emergency policies; stay current on issues/changes in operations
- Propose future efficiencies and establish protocols and procedures for ARC operations; Ongoing assessment of Member Services and facility operations
- Maintain strong communication with Aztec Recreation Career staff
- Position inclusive of Member Services Lead position responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Recreation, Recreational Administration, Physical Education, Sports Administration, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years supervisory experience in a recreation or related field
- Experience with recreation facility management, guest services, customer service
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of customer service
- Experience with CSI Spectrum software and When to Work scheduling program
- Must possess current certifications in CPR, AED, and First Aid (or ability to obtain prior to position start date)
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must be able to work independently and stay focused under pressure
- Must be accurate and detail oriented with strong organizational skills required
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal and public relation skills to interact with members, guests, and all Aztec Recreation staff
- Ability to communicate well in verbal and written form
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other program areas, and supervisors
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ablity to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
- Demonstrated ability of working in stressful situations and making respectable decisions
- Ability to multi task, work in a fast paced environment, and focus on attention to detail
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (30 hours/week), position. Expected work schedule hours consists of evening shifts between the hours of 11pm-7am, Sunday-Thursday. Work schedule consists of overnight shifts, including Sundays and Holidays. Open schedule availability and willingness to pick up additional shifts on short notice.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files. Must be able to lift up to 45 lbs repetitively, move heavy equipment, and be able to stand for long periods. Physical requirements include but are not limited to walking, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads up to 50 pounds (unassisted). Work may require standing and moving for extended periods.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Member Services Supervisor
Outside the Organization:
- Related University Personnel
- Various Vendors and Contractors
- Public Agencies
- Professional Organizations
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.