The Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Maintenance Lead is intended to provide support to the maintenance assistant team at a higher level. This position is a leadership position and will be looked toward to assist with higher level trainings, perform critical administrative duties as needed and give direction, guidance and support in the stead of fulltime staff. This position will help lead the direction of the maintenance team by providing constructive feedback and suggesting ideas for improvement and change.
Under the direction of the Conrad Prebys Assistant Director of Facilities, and under supervision of the Senior MEP Engineers, the primary responsibility of the Maintenance Lead is to ensure that the equipment within the facilities are operating in accordance with guidelines established by Associated Students, San Diego State University, and LEED EBOM. The Maintenance Lead is responsible for the execution of day-to-day activities including special projects that take place within the Union facilities. This position also provides direction to the part-time Maintenance assistants, and other part-time subcontracted laborers to meet the deadlines set per maintenance or project as needed. The Maintenance Lead acts as the primary representatives of Associated Students responsible for the maintenance needs of the Union facility in the absence of full time staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the inspection of the facility, workrooms and maintenance storage rooms for cleanliness and organization on a weekly basis and take proper action to address and correct the problems.
- Inventory tools and supplies on a weekly basis. Communicate order needs to the Assistant Director of Facilities, or designee, as levels of supplies dictate.
- Will take on special projects as assigned.
- Working with the Facilities Team to act as another building representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Completes the daily Shift Report, documenting information delineated on the on-line form and summarizing relevant details for review by Aztec Student Union personnel. Completes Incident Reports, Injury/Illness Reports, FMX Work Orders, and other documentation in terms of incidents that occurred within Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Performs daily rounds of the building completed throughout shift reporting any maintenance needs.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting and general maintenance practices and applies them when necessary. Will perform repair and maintenance tasks.
- Expert with the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures. Performs fire and life safety procedures, and acts as responsible party for ensuring fire and life safety in the absence of full time staff.
- Supervise and assist outside contractors while working at the Union Facility when requested to do so.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Facilities and Senior MEP Engineers in the training, education, and counseling of Maintenance Assistants to perform their duties and responsibilities in accordance with Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide. Must be able to effectively direct Maintenance Assistant staff to not only meet daily needs set forth by the FMX report, but prepare for upcoming projects in periods of down time.
- Coordinates the Maintenance assistant Trainee program to make sure timelines are met, employees are properly evaluated, and appropriate shift scheduling is occurring.
- Leads in the set-up and clean-up of projects throughout the day and occasionally late at night or early in the morning to ensure on-time completion of projects.
- Assists with conducting monthly staff meetings for the maintenance department.
- Provides input for performance evaluations for Maintenance Assistants.
- Assists with the recruitment, selection, and hiring of Maintenance Assistants.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Facilities and Senior MEP Engineers, the Maintenance Lead performs advanced repairs and maintenance related to various mechanical/electrical/plumbing systems; replaces light bulbs/lamps on the interior/exterior, performs advanced carpentry and painting; repairs and maintains building fixtures, furniture and equipment. Additional tasks include the maintenance and repair of the vegetative roof and courtyard fountain and help to ensure building cleanliness.
- Complete Daily Shift Report
- On a daily basis, make sure equipment and annotate logs of facility systems are performed properly.
- Clean, maintain and repair building fixtures and equipment.
- Perform repairs, including changing filters, light bulbs/lamps and repairs to mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment.
- Perform light custodial and cleaning tasks; assure the moving, relocation and setup of furniture, fixtures and equipment is performed as requested.
- Verify that the maintenance staff are responding to maintenance work order requests in a timely manner.
- Maintain the stock material and supply inventories.
- May be required to work holidays, morning, or evening shift.
- Other maintenance, custodial and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Assists Full time staff in the routine Safety Inspections for all Union facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Union facilities.
Reports to the Assistant Director of Facilities. In the absence of the Assistant Director of Facilities, reports to the Senior MEP Engineers.
Must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units at San Diego State University.
OPEN TO CURRENT INTERNAL AZTEC STUDENT UNION APPLICANTS ONLY. Minimum 1 semester of Aztec Student Union employment experience preferred. Advanced knowledge and experience in working with hand tools and power tools and advanced experience with carpentry and painting preferred. Must be able to quickly adapt and learn new skills in order to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays as needed. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness.
Must have competence in social skills and cultural diversity. Must be able to develop a good working relationship with fellow employees and be willing to work as a team and promote teamwork values. Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve and remain calm and professional under difficult situations. CPR, First Aid, and AED Certified individuals preferred.
Range II Steps I-III ($11.20 per hour starting); part-time