Maintenance Lead Job Description
Under the direction of the Conrad Prebys Assistant Director of Facilities, and under supervision of the Senior MEP Engineers, the primary responsibility of the Maintenance Lead is to ensure that the equipment within the facilities are operating in accordance with guidelines established by Associated Students, San Diego State University, and LEED EBOM. The Maintenance Lead is responsible for the execution of day-to-day activities including special projects that take place within the Union facilities. This position also provides direction to the part-time Maintenance assistants, and other part-time subcontracted laborers to meet the deadlines set per maintenance or project as needed. The Maintenance Lead acts as the primary representatives of Associated Students responsible for the maintenance needs of the Union facility in the absence of full time staff.
The Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Maintenance Lead is intended to provide support to the maintenance assistant team at a higher level. This position is a leadership position and will be looked toward to assist with higher level trainings, perform critical administrative duties as needed and give direction, guidance and support in the stead of fulltime staff. This position will help lead the direction of the maintenance team by providing constructive feedback and suggesting ideas for improvement and change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete Daily Shift Report
- On a daily basis, make sure equipment and annotate logs of facility systems are performed properly.
- Clean, maintain and repair building fixtures and equipment.
- Perform repairs, including changing filters, light bulbs/lamps and repairs to mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment.
- Perform light custodial and cleaning tasks; assure the moving, relocation and setup of furniture, fixtures and equipment is performed as requested.
- Verify that the maintenance staff are responding to maintenance work order requests in a timely manner.
- Maintain the stock material and supply inventories.
- May be required to work holidays, morning, or evening shift.
- Other maintenance, custodial and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Assists full-time staff in the routine Safety Inspections for all Union facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Union facilities.
- Assist with the inspection of the facility, workrooms and maintenance storage rooms for cleanliness and organization on a weekly basis and take proper action to address and correct the problems.
- Inventory tools and supplies on a weekly basis. Communicate order needs to the Assistant Director of Facilities, or designee, as levels of supplies dictate.
- Will take on special projects as assigned.
- Working with the Facilities Team to act as another building representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Completes the daily Shift Report, documenting information delineated on the on-line form and summarizing relevant details for review by Aztec Student Union personnel. Completes Incident Reports, Injury/Illness Reports, FMX Work Orders, and other documentation in terms of incidents that occurred within Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Performs daily rounds of the building completed throughout shift reporting any maintenance needs.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting and general maintenance practices and applies them when necessary. Will perform repair and maintenance tasks.
- Expert with the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities fire alarm systems, operations, and emergency evacuation procedures. Performs fire and life safety procedures, and acts as responsible party for ensuring fire and life safety in the absence of full time staff.
- Supervise and assist outside contractors while working at the Union Facility when requested to do so.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Facilities and Senior MEP Engineers in the training, education, and counseling of Maintenance Assistants to perform their duties and responsibilities in accordance with Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide. Must be able to effectively direct Maintenance Assistant staff to not only meet daily needs set forth by the FMX report, but prepare for upcoming projects in periods of down time.
- Coordinates the Maintenance assistant Trainee program to make sure timelines are met, employees are properly evaluated, and appropriate shift scheduling is occurring.
- Leads in the set-up and clean-up of projects throughout the day and occasionally late at night or early in the morning to ensure on-time completion of projects.
- Assists with conducting monthly staff meetings for the maintenance department.
- Provides input for performance evaluations for Maintenance Assistants.
- Assists with the recruitment, selection, and hiring of Maintenance Assistants.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units at San Diego State University.
- OPEN TO CURRENT INTERNAL AZTEC STUDENT UNION APPLICANTS ONLY
- Minimum 1 semester of Aztec Student Union employment experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge and experience in working with hand tools and power tools and advanced experience with carpentry and painting preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must have and maintain CPR, First aid and AED certifications
- Must complete Sexual Harassment Prevention training within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be able to quickly adapt and learn new skills in order to perform the responsibilities of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve and remain calm and professional under difficult situations
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends; employee schedules vary according to business needs.
Opportunities to work additional hours during the breaks are available.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Expectations are to be able to work inside and outside of the building in various weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Assistant Director of Facilities. In the absence of the Assistant Director of Facilities, reports to the Senior MEP Engineers.
- Reports to the Human Resources Manager
- Works closely and collaborates with HR & Risk Manager and Risk Management Assistant
- Interacts with Office Supervisors/Payroll Liaisons
- Interacts with A.S. Management and Hiring Supervisors
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.