Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Facilities and Senior MEP Engineers, the Maintenance Assistant performs basic/minor repairs and maintenance related to various mechanical/electrical/plumbing systems; replaces light bulbs/lamps on the interior/exterior, performs basic carpentry and painting; repairs and maintenance on building fixtures, furniture and equipment. Additional tasks include assisting in the maintenance and repair of the vegetative roof and courtyard fountain and helping to ensure building cleanliness.
The Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Maintenance Assistant assists in performing repairs and maintenance on a wide range of building equipment and fixtures and supports the implementation of sustainable operations and maintenance programs in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union (Union), a LEED Platinum building.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- On a daily basis, check equipment and annotate logs of facility systems.
- Assist with cleaning, preventive maintenance and repairs of building fixtures and equipment.
- Assist in making minor repairs, including changing filters, light bulbs/lamps and repairs to mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment.
- Assist in light custodial and cleaning tasks; assist with the moving, relocation and setup of furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Assist with responding to maintenance work order requests.
- Assist with the maintenance of stock material and supply inventories.
- May be required to work holidays, morning, or evening shift.
- Other maintenance, custodial and administrative tasks as assigned.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Basic knowledge and experience in working with hand tools and power tools and some basic experience with carpentry and painting preferred
- Must complete Target Solutions training within 30 days of hire (Back Injury Prevention Blood borne Pathogens, Safety Compressed Gas, Safety Confined-Space Entry, Ladder &Scaffolding Safety, Lock-Out/Tag-out, CPR Academic, Driving Safety, Building Evacuations and Emergencies, Combustible and Flammable liquids, HASMAT Spill Prevention & Control, Indoor Air Quality, Gender Awareness Training, General Construction Safety, Hand and Power Tool Safety, Hazard Communication, Fire Extinguisher Safety, Personal Protective Equipment Training)
- Must be able to quickly adapt and learn new skills in order to perform the responsibilities of the position
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Strong organizational skills required
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends; employee schedules vary according to business needs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Expectations are to be able to work inside and outside of the building in various weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness.
Reports to the Maintenance Lead. In the absence of the Maintenance Lead, reports to the Senior MEP Engineers.
Range I, Step 1, $11.50 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.