A/V Technician Lead
A/V Technician Lead Job Description
Under the direction of the Conrad Prebys Assistant Director of Operations and under supervision of the Technical Services Coordinator, the Audio Visual Technician Lead position is intended to provide support to the audio visual team at a higher level. This position is a leadership position and will be looked toward to assist with higher level trainings, perform critical administrative duties as needed and work higher tiered special events in the stead of fulltime staff. This position will help lead the direction of the audio visual team by providing constructive feedback and suggesting ideas for improvement and change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the programs within the facilities are operating in accordance with guidelines established by Associated Students, San Diego State University, and the student union facilities
- Responsible for the execution of day-to-day activities including special events that take place within the Union facilities
- Provides direction to the part-time Audio Visual Technicians and other part-time subcontracted laborers to meet the daily activity schedule as needed
- Acts as the primary representative of Associated Students responsible for the audio visual needs of all student union facilities in the absence of full-time staff
- Assists full-time staff in the routine Safety Inspections for all student union facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all student union facilities.
- Assist with the inspection of audio visual equipment and audio visual storage rooms for cleanliness and organization on a weekly basis and take proper action to address and correct the problems.
- Inventory audio visual supplies on a weekly basis. Communicate order needs to the Technical Services Coordinator, or designee, as levels of supplies dictate.
- Complete event planning checks making sure EMS is accurate and detailed.
- Will take on special projects as assigned.
- Working with the operation teams, act as another building representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct to effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Completes the daily shift report, documenting information delineated on the on-line form and summarizing relevant details for review by Aztec Student Union personnel. Completes Incident Reports, Injury/Illness Reports, Work Orders, and other documentation in terms of incidents that occurred within Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Performs daily rounds of the building completed throughout shift. Meeting rooms, event and general usage reports as well as reporting any issues.
- Reviews daily shift reports submitted by Audio Visual Technician staff for issues and or concerns that need addressing as needed.
- Assists with and coordinates the audio visual setup of all Aztec Student Union event spaces as requested by customers in accordance with the daily setup sheets in advance of their program start times.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting and general maintenance practices and applies them when necessary. Willing to perform limited repair and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledgeable of Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities emergency evacuation procedures. Performs fire and life safety procedures, and acts as responsible party for ensuring fire and life safety in the absence of full time staff.
- Maintains safe, orderly, and clean facilities during events occurring within all Union facilities.
- Acts as on-site Audio Visual contact for the student union clients before, during, and after programs to ensure that every client’s expectations are met in a positive manner especially with events requiring a higher level of supervision or oversight.
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Act. Ensures all programs within Union facilities comply with such codes. Must have the ability to move and direct crowds effectively for safety and security purposes.
- Assist during events to ensure all guests experience at Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union facilities is positive and memorable.
- Completes post event reports documenting all aspects both positive and negative in regards to events held in student union facilities.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Operations and Technical Services Coordinator in the training, education, and counseling of Audio Visual Technicians to perform their duties and responsibilities in accordance with Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide. Must be able to effectively direct Audio Visual Technician staff to not only meet daily needs set forth by the activity schedule, but prepare for upcoming programs in periods of down time.
- Assists with the coordination of the Audio Visual Technician training program to make sure timelines are met, shift evaluations are collected, and appropriate shift scheduling is occurring.
- Leads in the set-up and strikes of event and meeting room spaces throughout the day and occasionally late at night or early in the morning to ensure on-time completion of upcoming programs as dictated by the program schedule.
- Assists with conducting bi-weekly staff meetings for the audio visual area.
- Provides input for performance evaluations for Audio Visual Technicians.
- Assists with the recruitment, selection, and hiring of Audio Visual Technicians
- Advanced knowledge in the set-up, use and programming of the Audio Visual equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, audio consoles, lighting fixtures and consoles, video cameras and switchers.
- Capable of training audio visual staff on the set-up, use and programming of the audio visual equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, audio consoles, lighting fixtures and consoles, video cameras and switchers.
- Assists with and coordinates the delivery and set-up of the audio-visual (AV) equipment requested by our customers in advance of the meeting start times. Ensures that Audio Visual equipment is setup in accordance with the daily activity schedule and that it is in proper working order. Ensures safety of all Audio Visual setups. Advises customers on how to operate Audio Visual equipment. Coordinates retrieval of Audio Visual equipment at the conclusion of events to make sure items are safely stored.
- Ensures that all student union Audio Visual equipment remains secure and accounted for. Conducts periodic and frequent inventory audits to account for all equipment and assess inventory needs. Notifies full time staff in a timely manner when it is determined that equipment is missing or it is found to be damaged.
- Capable of trouble-shooting Audio Visual equipment and willing to learn about the mechanical and electrical workings of various audio, lighting, video, and projection equipment for correcting problems and also preventative maintenance.
- Performs routine maintenance of all Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union audio visual equipment to ensure that all items remain in a safe and useable manner. Removes all items from the active inventory as items
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Open to current internal Aztec Student Union Applicants only
- Minimum 1 semester of Aztec Student Union employment experience preferred
Licenses & Certification:
- CPR, First Aid, and AED Certified individuals preferred
- Must complete Sexual Harassment Prevention training within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to effectively direct the work of fellow part-time student employees.
- Must be able to facilitate meetings, trainings, and orientations in a professional manner.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- During academic semesters must commit to working an average of 12 hours a week
- Must be comfortable in a public environment and communicating with a diverse population of customers, students, and staff in a variety of areas.
- Must have a flexible schedule and willingness to work weekends, holidays, opening and closing shifts. Ability to work during summers and break periods is preferred.
- Must be able to provide constructive and positive feedback to student staff during shift. Communicate building issues to appropriate fulltime staff.
- Demonstrate confidence in making appropriate decisions in difficult situations.
- Must be able to follow and communicate safety procedures to prevent work-related injuries.
KNOWELDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Competence in social skills and cultural diversity
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to develop a good working relationship with fellow employees
- Ability to work as a team and promote teamwork values
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and remain calm and professional under difficult situations
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be willing to work a minimum of 10 hours during the academic year, including summer break, Monday – Friday.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Directly supervised by the Conrad Prebys Assistant Director of Operations and the Technical Services Coordinator
- Provides direction to the part-time Audio Visual Technicians and other part-time subcontracted laborers
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.