Under the direction of the Outdoor Coordinator, the Equipment Assistant assists with managing maintenance and tracking of our adventure program equipment. Becoming an integral member of a hard working team of full-time and part-time staff within Aztec Recreation, he/she should possess the ability to work independently and as a team member interacting with a diverse population of Aztec Recreation members and staff. This individual’s work will emphasize ensuring program risk management and safety. The Equipment Assistant is responsible for the enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures as outlined in Aztec Adventures Handbook.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages daily equipment repairs/maintenance, trip equipment preparation and maintains accurate inventory of Back Shop & Way Back Storage areas.
- Assists with the daily Equipment of the back-shop under the direction of the Equipment Technician/ Outdoor Programs Coordinator.
- Works closely with Outings Lead, Office Administrative Assistant, Climbing Wall Lead Supervisor, Equipment Technician and Outdoor Programs Coordinator to ensure successful programming and services.
- Have an understanding of the policies and regulations of the facility, Aztec Recreation, and Associated Students and be able to explain and enforce the rules to inquiring members and participants
- Attends and participates in all ARC, Aztec Adventures and Climbing Wall staff meetings and trainings.
- Updates and revises all outings program forms, fact sheets, check lists, waiver forms, etc.
- Possesses expert working knowledge of equipment, outings/leisure class registration and retail computer procedures.
- Assists with the weekly tasks associated with vehicle maintenance and maintaining the community garden.
- Checks trip availability to promote trips with availability and discuss cancellation of trips with low enrollment with the Program Coordinator.
- Enforces and demonstrates all ARC policies and safety practices
Position is supervised by the Aztec Adventures – Equipment Technician. Further interactions may include other full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to, Recreation Director, Associate Director of Programs, Facilities Supervisor, Member Services Supervisor and Coordinator, Building Services and Engineers, Evening Member Services Supervisor, Associate Director of Member Services and Facilities, photographer, and videographer.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Complete tasks satisfactorily
- Meet commitments
- Work independently
- Stay focused under pressure
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and participant communication)
Interpersonal Skills and Teamwork
- Work effectively with other employees/departments
- Develop positive working relationships
- Help improve work process
- Help to accomplish specific tasks
Quality and Accuracy
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
- Greet all participants in a timely manner
- Assist all participants with questions and/or comments
- If unable to assist, refers participant to someone who can
- Maintain positive and effective working relationships with all participants
- Inform supervisor of any participant issues
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be a current SDSU student taking a minimum of six units
- Must be willing to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during academic year
- Must be First Aid and CPR/AED certified prior to starting employment
- Must have ability to develop and maintain quality effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and co-workers within a diverse, frequently changing campus community
- Evidence of and ability to articulate a strong, current, practical knowledge of outdoor programming
- Must be able to physically lead and demonstrate the skill and/or activity
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically; must be able to work one-on-one and with groups as many as 60 people
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including written and oral communication
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Must possess proficient computer skills; utilize Google Email and Calendar, create reports/presentations utilizing Windows XP, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint as required/needed
- Additional wilderness certifications (WFA, WFR, WEMT, PCGI, Adventure Leadership Courses, ACA, AMGA, CWI, etc.) preferred
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must possess a friendly attitude and demeanor
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Ability to take initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with participants
- Prior knowledge about Aztec Recreation & Aztec Adventures is an asset
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Part-Time, Range I – Starting Rate: $10.00 per hour