GENERAL PURPOSE: Under the supervision of the Building Services Coordinator, and leadership of the Building Services Engineers, the Building Services Assistant is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect. Building Services Assistant will be held accountable for assisting the Building Services Engineers in performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks for Aztec Recreation facilities and equipment. Facilities and equipment include but are not limited to: HVAC systems, plumbing, electrical, lighting, mechanical, painting, changing air filters, and building modifications, repair of commercial fitness equipment, laundry equipment, general preventative maintenance of buildings and equipment as assigned. Building Services Assistant will also perform basic/minor repairs to floors, walls, fixtures, equipment and furniture. Overall the Building Services Assistant provides a high standard of the Aztec Recreation experience while working on the floor at the Aztec Recreation Center and other facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow the leadership and direction of the Building Services Engineers in performing daily assigned duties.
- Reviews FMX work order list daily, completes FMX work order submittals, and performs maintenance repair task as assigned, to ensure that all Aztec Recreation (ARC, ARC Express, Aztec Lanes, Racquetball and Aquaplex) facilities are cleaned and maintained.
- Performs emergency and scheduled repairs to buildings, furniture and equipment. Ensures that facility/equipment repair and storage areas are neat, clean and orderly.
- Conducts regular walk-throughs of the facilities and inspects equipment to ensure preventative maintenance is performed in a timely manner, to include all ARC and ARC Express weight-room and complex cardiovascular-fitness equipment.
- Paints various facility areas and equipment using approved methods, repairs floors (carpet, tile, wood), walls and ceilings, replaces light bulbs, ballast and fuses; repairs electrical lines and fixtures.
- Maintains and repairs building fixtures; locks, windows and doors, repairs and maintains plumbing fixtures including several large commercial laundry equipment pieces.
- Performs regular servicing and preventative maintenance procedures on all equipment.
- Assist in maintaining and repairing exercise equipment, recreational and bowling equipment.
- Inspects and diagnoses deficiencies in equipment and/or operations, identifies replacement parts and supplies and prepares orders.
- Maintains accurate records of parts, costs, and machine performance.
- Performs semi-regular custodial tasks in keeping bathrooms clean and supplies stocked and replenished, assist with the moving, relocation and set up of furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Ensure the implantation of appropriate risk management plan; including being confident as the first respondent to all injuries and accidents.
- Other maintenance work as assigned.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Engineering majors preferred
- Work Study preferred
- Background in fixing and repairing building fixtures and/or mechanical equipment is preferred
License & Certification:
- Must be certified in CPR, AED, and First Aid before the first day of work
- Must complete Gender Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Must professionally represent Aztec Recreation, Associated Students and San Diego State University at all times
- Must be able to perform a high level of customer service in a diverse and constantly changing environment
- Must commit to values of diversity, multi-culturalism, and higher education
- Must be a self-starter and be willing to initiate interactions with members and guests
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Strong organizational skills required
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be available up to 12 hours a week, including evenings and weekends; employee schedules vary according to business needs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders and high scissor lifts.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Building Services Coordinator and Building Services Engineers
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Range II – Starting Rate: $12.20 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.