Under the supervision of the Building Services Coordinator, and leadership of the Building Services Engineers, the Building Services Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks for Aztec Recreation facilities and equipment. Facilities and equipment include but are not limited to: HVAC systems, plumbing, electrical, lighting, mechanical, painting, changing air filters, and building modifications, repair of commercial fitness equipment, laundry equipment, general preventative maintenance of buildings and equipment as assigned. Building Services Assistant will also perform basic/minor repairs to floors, walls, fixtures, equipment and furniture. Overall the Building Services Assistant provides a high standard of the Aztec Recreation experience while working on the floor at the Aztec Recreation Center and other facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follows the leadership and direction of the Building Services Engineers in performing daily assigned duties
- Reviews FMX work order list daily, completes FMX work order submittals, and performs maintenance repair tasks as assigned, to ensure that all Aztec Recreation (ARC, ARC Express, Aztec Lanes, Racquetball and Aquaplex) facilities are cleaned and maintained
- Performs emergency and scheduled repairs to buildings, furniture and equipment
- Ensures that facility/equipment repair and storage areas are neat, clean and orderly
- Conducts regular walk-throughs of the facilities and inspects equipment to ensure preventative maintenance is performed in a timely manner, to include all ARC and ARC Express weight-room and complex cardiovascular-fitness equipment
- Paints various facility areas and equipment using approved methods; repairs floors (carpet, tile, wood), walls and ceilings, replaces light bulbs, ballast and fuses; repairs electrical lines and fixtures
- Maintains and repairs building fixtures, locks, windows and doors, repairs and maintains plumbing fixtures, including several large commercial laundry equipment pieces
- Performs regular servicing and preventative maintenance procedures on all equipment.
- Assists in maintaining and repairing exercise equipment, recreational and bowling equipment
- Inspects and diagnoses deficiencies in equipment and/or operations, identifies replacement parts and supplies and prepares orders
- Maintains accurate records of parts, costs, and machine performance
- Performs semi-regular custodial tasks in keeping bathrooms clean and supplies stocked and replenished
- Assists with the moving, relocation and set up of furniture, fixtures and equipment
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate risk management plan, including being confident as the first respondent to all injuries and accidents
- Completes other maintenance work as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures customer service standards are met; responding to customer inquiries in a timely manner
- Maintains positive and effective working relationships with all customers
- Informs supervisor of any customer issues
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Engineering majors preferred
- Must be able to lift up to 45 pounds repetitively and be able to stand for long periods
- Background in fixing and repairing building fixtures and/or mechanical equipment is preferred
License & Certification:
- Must be certified in CPR, AED, and First Aid before the first day of work
- Valid California Driver’s License with proof of current insurance required
- Must complete Gender Awareness and Computer Security trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must professionally represent Aztec Recreation, Associated Students and San Diego State University at all times
- Must be able to perform a high level of customer service in a diverse and constantly changing environment
- Must commit to values of diversity, multi-culturalism, and higher education
- Must be a self-starter and be willing to initiate interactions with members and guests
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Interest in repair and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Desire to learn new maintenance and engineering skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and customer communication)
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be available 8-20 hours a week, including evenings and weekends; employee schedules vary according to business needs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks. Exposure to dust, dirt, grease and sand while performing various tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders and high scissor lifts.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Building Services Coordinator
- Assists, takes direction from and works closely with Building Services Engineers
- Will coordinate facilities and equipment repair requests with Operations Supervisor
- Interaction with other full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to, Recreation Director, Associate Director, Member Services Manager, Member Services Supervisor, Aquaplex Manager, Aquaplex Coordinator, Fitness and Wellness Coordinator, Competitive Sports Manager, Outdoor Programs Coordinator, Marketing Coordinator, and Office Supervisor
- Additional interactions may include part-time staff within Aztec Recreation
Outside the Organization:
Range II, $12.20 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.
MVR and DMV record review is required for positions that drive university vehicles and/or passengers.