Aquaplex Lifeguard Job Description
Under the supervision of the Aztec Aquaplex Manager, the Aquaplex Lifeguard is responsible for upholding Aztec Recreation Department values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect at the Aztec Aquaplex. Aquaplex Lifeguards work to ensure a safe aquatic environment for all patrons and users with typical duties including (but are not limited to) ensuring patron safety, supervising aquatic activities, and customer service related tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain physical fitness, by completing required monthly swim, rescue skill practice sessions, and in-service trainings
- Set-up and break-down of facility for daily operations, programs, group rentals and special events
- Attending to facility appearance and cleanliness, completing inventory reports, and cleaning of the facility and its equipment
- Position inclusive of Aquaplex Facilities Representative position assisting with the administrative front desk tasks for the Aztec Aquaplex
- Performing related duties and responsibilities as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Resolve customer concerns, facilitate problems and complaints in a courteous and professional manner
- Provide excellent customer service to all members and guests
- Answer member questions and provide accurate information, provide tours of the facility and assist with Aquaplex desk operations
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Recognize and respond to all medical and incident emergencies through knowledge and application of lifeguard surveillance, rescue techniques, and conflict resolution trainings
- Maintain aquatic safety equipment by inspecting and reporting any repairs needed
- Ensure and maintain the safety of the Aquaplex facility, including testing and monitoring water chemistry, inspecting all pool facilities, correcting safety concerns, and reporting any unsafe conditions
- Ensure the implementation of the emergency action and risk management plan including being confident as the first respondent to all injuries and incidents; prepare required injury/incident reports
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies.
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence; Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor.
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately.
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a regularly enrolled SDSU student carrying at least six units per semester
- Previous work experience as a lifeguard in an aquatic setting preferred
- Participation and/or knowledge of Aztec Recreation programs and facilities preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be certified in American Red Cross Lifeguarding and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer prior to the first day of work
- Must complete Gender Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Attend and participate in Aztec Recreation staff trainings and monthly meetings
- Must be able to work under pressure and make respectable decisions
- Must be a self-starter and be willing to complete tasks and initiate interactions with members and guests without direction
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including written and oral communication
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically
- Ability to take initiative and complete additional projects in the absence of the supervisor
- Ability and interest to work in a fast paced environment and contribute to a team
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position with a work schedule that consists of 10- 20 hours per week during the academic school year, 25-37 hours/week during summer with consideration of the employee’s academic schedule. Work availability requires working early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Aztec Aquaplex Manager
- Interacts with other full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to the Recreation Director, Associate Director of Member Services & Facilities, and Aquaplex part-time staff
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.