Under the direction of the MBAC Instructional Supervisor, the Surfing Program Assistant is responsible for assisting the MBAC Instructional Supervisor in training, scheduling, and supervising staff; completing administrative tasks related to the department; and completing assigned tasks that may require a high level of skill or attention to detail. This position will focus on the safety and operations of the MBAC Surfing department by providing additional support and supervision for surfing staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support to the MBAC Instructional Coordinator in training and supervising MBAC surfing instructors
- Maintain safety of the MBAC surfing program
- Responsible for assisting with hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and evaluating surfing staff
- Plan and implement department trainings and in-service trainings for the surfing staff
- Assist with administrative tasks including but not limited to scheduling staff, data entry, and completing reports
- Propose future efficiencies and establish protocols and procedures for the surfing department
- Maintain strong communication with MBAC full time staff
- Other duties as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Serves as main point of contact for customers and Office Assistants regarding surfing issues
- Ensures all staff are providing the best customer service and value possible
- Responds to customer inquiries, complaints, and issues in a timely fashion
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Recreation, Physical Education, or a related field preferred
- Minimum two years of demonstrated experience teaching surfing
License & Certifications:
- Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- FBI, DOJ, and LiveScan fingerprint clearance
- Current valid CA Driver’s License
- Complete tasks and projects that require high level of skill and/or attention to detail
- Able to multitask while working in a fast paced environment
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff, customers, and vendors
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have excellent technical surfing skills (or excellent understanding of skills)
- Must have excellent knowledge of the ocean environment including weather, surf, currents, marine animals, and other environmental conditions
- Must be aware of current trends in the sport of surfing
- Must be well organized and able to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions, and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to gather and organize data, draw logical conclusions, and discern implications
- Must be able to lead by example and serve as a teacher/mentor to staff within the department and at MBAC
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during summer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students on the water while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the MBAC Instructional Coordinator
- Works closely with Office Assistants and other staff members
- Supervises Surfing Instructors
Part Time, Out-of-Range – Starting Rate: $15.00 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.