Maintenance Program Assistant
Maintenance Program Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the MBAC Marine Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Program Assistant will assist with training, scheduling, and supervising staff; completing administrative tasks related to the repair and maintenance of equipment/facility; and completing assigned maintenance tasks that may require a high level of skill or technical expertise. This position will focus on the safety and operations of the MBAC Maintenance department by providing additional support and supervision for Maintenance Assistants and Dockmaster staff. The Maintenance Program Assistant is responsible for upholding the MBAC mission and values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support to the MBAC Marine Maintenance Supervisor in training and supervising the Maintenance Assistants and Dockmasters (when Dockmasters are working on the repair or maintenance of the facility or equipment).
- Assist in the assignment and supervision of Maintenance Assistant and Dockmaster tasks and projects
- Complete maintenance or repair tasks that require a high level of skill or technical expertise
- In the absence of the MBAC Marine Maintenance Supervisor, maintain supervision and safety of the shop and work areas
- Assign and supervise repair and maintenance tasks to staff appropriate to their level of skill and experience
- Responsible for assisting with hiring, training, scheduling, coaching and evaluating Maintenance Assistants
- Plan and implement department trainings and in-service trainings for the Maintenance Assistants
- Assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to: scheduling staff, logging maintenance/repairs, data entry, reports, filing, and reporting
- Responsible for ensuring completion of regular facility and equipment inspections
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate risk management plan; prepare required injury/incident reports; Report any facility hazards; Proactively take steps to eliminate future risk
- Ensure that shop area is clean and organized
- Knowledgeable of departmental and facility procedures and emergency policies; stay current on issues/changes in operations
- Propose future efficiencies and establish protocols and procedures for maintenance operations; Ongoing assessment of equipment and facility maintenance and repair
- Assist with opening/closing MBAC maintenance area
- Other duties as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Maintain strong communication with MBAC full time staff
- Assist the MBAC Maintenance Supervisor with supervision of MBAC contractors including but not limited to: custodial services, plumbing, inboard boat repair services, outboard engine repair services, fiberglass repair, and facility repair services
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Recreation, Engineering, Material Science, Physical Education, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience with repair and maintenance including outboard and inboard engines, fiberglass repair, and facility maintenance
- Two years supervisory experience in repair and maintenance or related field preferred
- Experience with work order systems, logging work completed, and WhenToWork staff scheduling system
Licenses & Certifications:
- Red Cross CPR & First Aid (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- FBI, DOJ, and LiveScan fingerprint clearance
- Current valid CA Driver’s License
- Training certification in outboard or inboard engine repair preferred
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, other program areas, and supervisors
- Must be able to work and make appropriate decisions in stressful situations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with MBAC staff
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced environment, and focus on attention to detail
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Work schedule consists of long and unusual hours including some weekends.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to water, salt water, dust, grease, sand, sun, wind, rain, weather, seaweed, sea grass, hazardous chemicals, and other industrial hazards.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying loads, and working in narrow or tight spaces. Must be able to lift up to 45 lbs repetitively and be able to stand for long periods.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the MBAC Marine Maintenance Supervisor
- Supervises Maintenance Assistants
Part Time, Out of Range – Starting Rate: $15.00 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.