The Office Assistant (OA) assists in the overall successful daily operations of Government Affairs and Business Services by performing multiple levels of administrative tasks. The OA provides excellent customer service by answering questions regarding the Associated Students organization, A.S. Government programs and events, A.S. accounting and student organization accounting processes, and the general SDSU campus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support for A.S. Government Affairs.
- Provides excellent customer service via phone and in person regarding Associated Students, general questions about San Diego State University.
- Greets guests and refers to appropriate department.
- Informs guests about current A.S. Government programs/processes.
- Informs guests about A.S. student organization banking and specific A.S. accounting processes, such as, but not limited to, check request forms, requests for accounting information, tax ID request forms, purchase orders, and student organization bank account applications.
- Assists and communicates with the A.S. student government leaders.
- Distributes and processes A.S. departmental mail on a daily basis.
- Distributes A.S. payroll checks for A.S. employees.
- Receives student organization deposits.
- Prepares and processes the daily A.S. check deposit.
- Assists with routine administrative tasks including: organization of the front desk area; spreadsheets; operating copier/fax/computer equipment, deliveries, and other tasks as assigned.
- Provides administrative support for the Office Supervisor, Government Affairs, the A.S. Financial Affairs Committee, and for the A.S. Accounting/Finance departments, as assigned.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with all A.S. employees in the A.S. office
- Works closely with recognized student organizations with their banking/A.S. funding inquiries and questions.
- Works closely with the A.S. student leaders.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be a regularly enrolled San Diego State University student, carrying at least six units per semester.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel required.
- Previous office/administrative experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Publisher and PowerPoint preferred.
- Experience/knowledge with A.S. student organization banking and accounting processes preferred.
- One year of customer service experience required.
- Have excellent writing and communication skills.
- If hired, the OA cannot be a voting member of an A.S. board, committee, or commission or a voting member on the A.S. Board of Directors and/or the three A.S. Councils.
- Must be courteous and pleasant at all times.
- Must be aware of the current SDSU events.
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment.
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion.
- Ability to work well with people.
- Knowledge of Associated Students and San Diego State University.
- Highly organized individual with keen written and verbal skills and exceptional attention to details.
- Ability to work in a diverse, frequently changing population of students.
- Must be available over the summer, some weekends, and academic breaks (spring and winter).
- Must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and work well as part of a team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Knowledge of the Associated Students and San Diego State University
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (15-20 hours/week during the academic year and between 20-25 hours during the summer) position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the individual to spend hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including lifting banker boxes and files. This person will also be making deliveries via foot around campus.
Part-Time; Starting Pay: $11.50 per hour